New Tool for Migration from OneNote - updated and improved version

Here’s what I do and in what folder and what I get. Can you please tell me what the problem could be?

The instructions say the following:

1. open a PowerShell terminal and navigate to the folder containing the script and run it.'.\ConvertOneNote2MarkDown-v2.ps1'
  • if you receive an error, try running this line to bypass security: “Set-ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Scope Process”
  • if you still have trouble, try running both Onenote and Powershell as an administrator.

Give that a try and let me know how it goes.

“Set-ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Scope Process”
gives this result:

" “Set-ExecutionPolicy” is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file "

I tried to install chocolatey.org - failed because of the same problem.
Tried to solve this problem - still no luck.

I think something is cut or disabled in my Windows.
Also, I’m thinking of reinstalling Windows,
because there is nothing I can do about the problem.

Have you tried running the script without that line “Set-ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Scope Process”?

Also, did you include the quotation marks or no? You shouldn’t. It should just be like this.

Set-ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Scope Process

Have you tried running both Onenote and Powershell in both normal and Administrator mode?

Yes, I tried that.
I didn’t put quotation marks.

Not sure what to suggest. The internet says that that error comes from not running PowerShell in administrator/elevated mode. Hope you can figure it out.

1 Like

How much time did you require on this step?
Approximately…

I have not been able to get past it.

I don’t even know what this is… When/where do you see this screen?

Problem about image preview after batch conversion
Source code “show image.md”
![](..\p\1.png){width="2.25in" height="1.7291666666666667in"}
preview

Obsidian doesn’t show picture., How to solve it?

If it is showing up in Typora when you view the same files, then it isn’t a problem with this export tool and you’ll have to figure out what’s not working with Obsidian. I’d suggest you try changing the link format around until you get it working - perhaps something is off with the relative folder reference

It has just been brought to my attention that the script was creating broken links for images. As it turns out, Pandoc changed their code back in Oct 2020 and it seems no one has noticed this/reported it to me since then.

So, it is worth double checking your files. If there are problems, then it would be worth re-exporting/converting everything with the new script…

1 Like

Hey @KD21 thanks a lot for writing this up! Does this method convert tables?

Any news on why the GitHub repository is now read-only? Has anybody carried this on?

I didn’t follow the whole thread, but I just exported 10+ years of OneNote successfully to Obsidian, and I just love it!

I used two Python script for that, one that exports all notebooks and it’s section groups to HTML, and the second one to convert HTML to Markdown.

See the scripts and a short description on my blog: How to Take Notes in 2021? |

Let me know if you have questions!

2 Likes

@HammyHavoc Sorry, I’ve now updated the link. New, actual, developers took it over and have made considerable improvements to it.

1 Like

Just wanted to share a nifty workflow my friend found. I’ve given up on trying to port my entire OneNote notebooks because the organisation isn’t great and I use a Mac so the powershell script workaround doesn’t work.
Using TextSniper, I’ve found it easier to copy single chunks of text and paste it in Obsidian in markdown. Previously copy and paste directly from OneNote doesn’t format well and leaves a lot of spaces. This works slightly better. Plus, it alone is a really useful tool for students, taking texts from pictures of lecture slides seamlessly. (I know iOS does this natively but it isn’t as seamless, especially if you have to keep track of lects in real-time)

1 Like

Thanks a lot for this great tool, it worked like magic for me. Thanks man.

1 Like

Hello the script works fine but I get Gibrish as all my onenote is in Hebrew, any advice ?

Thanks so much for such a detailed guide! Not sure if anyone mentioned but I just found that the “Select Notebooks, Sections, Pages to export” page won’t show any section groups in OneNote, and unfortunately I have a lot in my OneNote :cry:

Also, I got a similar issue as @mada34 - my Joplin also gets stuck every time and I need to wait forever, but each time if I force quit Joplin the notes will be there (all of them, not like @mada34, maybe because I split each section to several smaller evernote files), although I’m not sure if my notes are actually partially missing since I stop the transformation.

Hi folks,

After a very long time away from Obsidian/Markdown and this tool, I just returned to it.

I discovered that there’s an inherent issue with the way it works by exporting from OneNote->Word->Markdown.

Word can only have bullets nested 9 levels deep, so if your OneNote notes have more than that, the nesting gets garbled - not just for that bullet/tree but even some adjacent ones.

I’ve just gone through some of my larger notes and “refactored” them - its far less painful doing so in OneNote than in Markdown.

I cant add details about this to the readme as I don’t have access to the Github repo anymore as I passed it off to the guys who improved it significantly, though they seem to be MIA…

I hope this helps