New stacked tab doesn't scroll all the way into view (sometimes)

Steps to reproduce

• Open sandbox vault
  • Stack tabs
  • Cmd-click a couple of notes in the file panel

Expected result

When opening new tabs, they get scrolled all the way into view.

Actual result

Sometimes, the view doesn’t scroll far enough.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v1.3.5
	Installer version: v1.3.4
	Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 21.6.0: Mon Dec 19 20:46:01 PST 2022; root:xnu-8020.240.18~2/RELEASE_ARM64_T8101 21.6.0
	Login status: not logged in
	Insider build toggle: off
	Live preview: on
	Legacy editor: off
	Base theme: dark
	Community theme: none
	Snippets enabled: 0
	Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	none

Additional information

Screen recording here, in which I’m ⌘-clicking to open new tabs and ⌘W-ing to close them.

Screen Recording 2023-06-20 at 13.37.51

It seems to vary depending on some complicated state, including which notes you’re opening, though if you re-open/close the same sequence of notes in a row it’s usually fairly consistent. The first stacked tab (i.e. the first time the scroll animation would be expected) seems to do it pretty consistently.

This seems to be related to this previously reported bug about the scroll not animating, except if the “Default view for new tabs” setting is set to “Editing view”, then the failure mode changes—instead of not animating at all, it briefly animates and then stops short. When using a consistent sequence of notes that’s reproducing it, the same sequence generally triggers the non-animating bug if you change the setting.

It may be something to do with reading the previous scroll position; in some cases closing the topmost tab scrolls a little bit too far back, and in those cases, scrolling manually before opening a new tab seems to affect whether the bug happens.

It seems like this happens more often when using the Minimal Theme.

3 Likes

I can’t reproduce this.

Reproduced in Obsidian/installer 1.3.5 on MacOS 13.4.1 by following the repro steps listed.

I tested twice, closing the sandbox vault between. I stacked the tabs when there was only 1 tab (the 1 that’s there when you open the vault). In each test I Cmd-clicked a different handful of notes from the file browser. Both times the first note I clicked only came out a little way, and subsequent notes came out all the way. In one of the tests I closed out all but the original tab and Cmd-clicked a new handful of notes and saw the same behavior.

2 Likes

Steps to reproduce

1. Open a sandbox vault
  2. Toggle “stack tabs”
  3. Open any link to another note by ctrl+clicking.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Yes

Expected result

The newly opened tab is fully visible

Actual result

Sometimes the newly opened tabe is 80% obscured, not fully visible.
(I’ll have to manually click it to make it fully visible.)
(Also see GIF at the bottom)

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.3.5
Installer version: v1.3.5
Operating system: Windows 10 Home 10.0.22621
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: none
Insider build toggle: off
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 0
Plugins enabled: 0

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

When the 1st, 2nd and 4th new tab were opened, they displayed fully. However, the 3rd and the last new tab were not shown fully when opened.
stack tab bug

1 Like

I am sorry but I can’t reproduce this.

I have exactly the same problem

Problem persists with the newest installer version.

I had this behaviour for quite some while now and it finally annoyed me enough to go to the forums. Unfortunately, I did not find this thread in my searches, so I opened a new thread).

I triggered the bug in my steps to reproduce a little bit differently. I control-clicked links in the notes that opened but I can also reproduce this bug reliably the way it is describe in this thread. I also included gifs.

I am currently on:

SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v1.4.13
	Installer version: v1.4.13
	Operating system: #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Wed, 13 Sep 2023 08:37:40 +0000 6.5.3-arch1-1
	Login status: logged in
	Catalyst license: insider
	Insider build toggle: on
	Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	none

If you are interested I can also provide the Debug info output from an affected Windows 11 machine.

@WhiteNoise, could you maybe retry reproducing this in the most recent sandbox? It is really going on my nerves…

I still can’t reproduce this, but we got enough reports to believe that this is happening.

What is your screen zoom level?

So my screens resolution is 2560x1440. The window I tested last with was 2560x1409 (but I can also trigger the bug if the window is smaller (but wide enough for multiple notes).
If you are referring to font size: I used control+scrollwheel to change it and the bug still happened. I expected to reset the font with control+0 but I believe that resets the UI zoom (which I had at default already).

Peek 2023-09-17 18-45_3

In my tries to no be able to reproduce it I noticed a few things.

1. It happens every other note open, if I just keep continuing opening the same note in a new tab
  2. If there is only enough space for one note to be visible the bug will not happen (end of gif) → make sure your have a wide enough window to try to reproduce the bug

I am referring to the screen scaling set at OS level.

I have mine on MacOS set to 1280 × 800 (to align evenly with the screen’s physical resolution and for more readable size; the default setting is 1440 × 900).

On my ArchLinux it is 1. On Windows 11 it might is 1.25.

My OS scaling is 125% (Win 11 1920*1080 laptop)
Problem persists when scaling changed to 100%