Network error (tunnel connection) with 1.5.3

Hi, this my first post on this forum so it may lacks some precisions or i may have missed the answer to my question somewhere else (yet i found nothing close enough in the help pages or on the forum). Please let me now if something is missing or redundant (and sorry if that turns out to be)

I have been using Obsidian for a while and lately (just after the app auto-update to 1.5.3) i noticed the apparition of a ERR_TUNNEL_CONNECTION_FAILED error upon opening :
This pop-up may triggers multiple time (3~4) and can appear at random while using Obsidian (yet it does not seem to impact my usage of the app)

Since my organization use a VPN, i suspected that it was a related error. And indeed by turning off the VPN, no error upon opening.
The error does not trigger upon opening another vault (either the sandbox vault or a standard one), so it does not seem inherent to the vault but to the app itself (note that i donā€™t use any community plugin, only some core plugins)

Does the last update introduce access over the internet of some sort, which may fail under VPN ?
I noticed that the error trigger upon attempting to browse for community plugins so i suspect that Obsidian does not have any internet access when my VPN is on.
Canā€™t i just configure Obsidian to work offline, or do i have to set up in some way a proxy to allow it internet access now ?

Note that : i do not use Sync, Publish nor outgoing links display; my OS is Ubuntu 20.04.1; i do not have admin access; i use a snap to auto-update Obsidian (yet i got the same error with a downloaded AppImage)

4 Likes

I hesitated to submit this as a bug, yet since with a standard usage (no VPN) it does not happen, i considered that it might be an ā€œexpectedā€ error when Obsidian is cut off from the internet

1 Like

Iā€™m getting the same error, and I also work through a VPN. In my case, the error only started appearing after some IT updates to my computer (a mac), so I donā€™t think it is related to the release version. I tried rolling back to 1.4.16, and Iā€™m still getting the error.

Found this previous thread re: proxies ā€“ Proxy setting

My takeaway so far is that I need to resolve this with my org.

1 Like

I have exactly the same problem, can somebody help ?

The problem started with Obsidian new update.

@sylvan i just tried launching the 1.4.10 (with the AppImage, still with VPN on) and i didnā€™t got the warning pop-up upon opening, could you check if itā€™s the same for you ?
I will try using this version for a while to see if the problem trigger again (i usually get it multiple times a day), maybe it is somewhat linked to a recent Obsidian release

Iā€™ve been using 1.4.10 for two full days and didnā€™t got the problem at all. So it seems to be a regression. Iā€™ll try to narrow down to which version it has been introduced and then open a new thread signaling the bug

Chalk me up as another with this problem, that has suddenly appeared.

I suspect that this is due to the fact that my corporate proxy requires a username/password and we are not allowed to add this to our system settings/keychain - we can only use applications that support supplying this info in their settings e.g. Postman, IntelliJ IDEA, or are capable of displaying an authentication popup like Chrome does for example.

Iā€™m not sure why Obsidian have decided not to properly support proxy authentication (Proxy setting), seems rather short-sighted for a productivity tool, but sadly this might be the nail in the coffin for me if not fixed. I can live without Obsidian Sync (although Iā€™d prefer not to have to, I donā€™t know why they donā€™t want my money), but I canā€™t deal with this popping up all day.

Iā€™ve tested versions 1.4.10, 1.4.16 & 1.5.3 and the problem trigger only only on 1.5.3 so it seems to be a bug introduced in the latest version ā†’ i opened a thread about it in the bug section
ā†’ here ā†
I suggest to comment only in the new thread from now on

I faced the same problem.
Obsidian was installed on a clean Windows system.
Playable on versions 1.5.8, 1.5.11.