Music notation rendering with abcjs

It would be great to have a plugin that uses abcjs to allow blocks of ABC notation to be rendered as musical notation and be playable.

12 Likes

This would be very cool! At the minute I spend a lot of time in Musescore, and am constantly faffing about exporting pngs from there to include in my notes. abcjs looks awesome – I’m not familiar with it, but it reminds me of this project I used to mess around with https://www.coreymwamba.co.uk/musify/

1 Like

Wholeheartedly seconded! It would be incredible if we could explore musical ideas in Obsidian using the Zettelkasten methodology.

I have a question though: is it possible to develop a LilyPond plugin for Obsidian? I wonder if LilyPond code can be rendered in line since you normally need to compile the code when using LilyPond.

2 Likes

It just occurred to me that users of Typora might have had similar feature requests. Upon a little web searching, I found this Typora GitHub issue thread that might be useful.

I just started learning to code and is no where near being able to turn this idea into a plugin for Obsidian. But on the off chance that no one else is interested enough to do it, I’ll certainly be glad to develop a LilyPond plugin.

I also had this in mind. I’m in a similar situation, but I agree that this would be pretty helpful plugin. I want to contribute, but it also might help to find other people who would be interested in contributing to developing this.

Looking around, to me a more likely candidate is something like this: https://www.vexflow.com/

It is open source and javascript based, which I am guessing will work better in Obsidian.

Chiming in just to make this feature request louder! I’m a musician and I so analyses of the pieces I play often. It’d be great to have music notation integrated, the way math notation is.

I’m aware that Lilypond is supported in Latex via a package. Perhaps including Lilypond as a Latex package instead of rewriting everything in JS with a JS library like ABC or Vexflow, it’d be less work?

Anyways, musicians are currently using Latex to write general bass analysis anyways! Really love Obsidian!

Aaah, so I’m new to Obsidian and don’t know much about the structure (or about plugin coding)… so you reckon LaTeX is the better option? I suppose I assumed the LaTeX support was limited to math, and I don’t know much about how all that works in terms of integrating other LaTeX packages.