No guarantee and "everything will break" API beta testing phase?

Throwing my hat in the ring for unstable API. Everyone above has pretty much covered my thoughts, so I don’t have much to add. But the sooner we can do anything, even if it breaks, the sooner we know what’s possible or not. :slight_smile:

Unstable API sounds great!

Unless you guys want to support multiple API versons. For example, v0.1, v0.2, v0.3, etc. Developers can specify which version they’re working with. Then perhaps depricate all old APIs at once. That way, things aren’t constantly breaking, but only breaking in batches every few months.

2 Likes

Personally I think it’s better to break the API and force plugin fixing/changes especially as end users will not freeze their Obsidian version, they just happily update. Keeping old APIs around for backwards compatibility just adds more cycles to maintain those rather than using the engineering resources fixing new APIs and features.

3 Likes

Like the many posters above, I just want to add my support and interest for developing using an unstable API.

1 Like

Just another +1 for no-warranty beta SDK - very much looking forward to exploring.

2 Likes

I am also up for the unstable beta API!

2 Likes

Same here! Would love to hack on stuff!

1 Like

Anything that gets us past the roam cult.

8 Likes

Count me in on the constantly-breaking-beta-API train :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1 on breaking APIs. I think this will accelerate developing a good API. Plus I’m champing at the bit to fix the main feature hole that is still missing for me (music notation).

2 Likes

+1 on breaking APIs. I just want to fool around for a bit and push this to the limit!

1 Like

I’ve been itching to add on some functionality that I need. Unstable api is better than nothing :smiley:

1 Like

Received everyone’s feedback and we’ll go with an unstable API first!

11 Likes

Is this something that is already close to ready? Or is there at least some kind of timeline to expect this? Absolutely no rush, just interested because I’m on leave for a month, so I have some time to hack on this :slight_smile:.

Currently no timeline, sorry! Check back in a month or so and hopefully we have something almost ready for testing.

I’m in support of this, as I’ve said on Discord (BloodyPeguinDestroyer/ReverendPenguin). There’s a lot of self-fulfilling plugins I can think of to write and may serve a use for others well, especially since each vault has their own config (if that can be exposed to the plugin like in VSCode).

Don’t mean to rush, just checking back after nearly a month, should there be anything almost ready for testing !

2 Likes

This.

1 Like

Yes, definitely. I saw your post on music rendering, and I think it would be great.

Out of curiosity, what use cases do you personally see for playable music notation? How could this be used by those interested in music in general?

Why not to make data automatically?