Kernel Panic on macOS (crash, reboot)

@provomakr That may be true for the video corruption issue, but that’s a separate problem. It’s not the Kernel Panic that this topic is mainly about. Also, I have experienced the KPs on my Mac Mini, which has an “Intel UHD Graphics 630” chip in it… not AMD related at all.

Here’s what I see in the system.log from a recent kernel panic in case it helps. I read the thread and assume this is an Apple or Electron problem, but wanted to share in case it shed some more light:

Apr  7 09:03:30 littlebox Obsidian Helper (GPU)[16219]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelKBLGraphicsGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelKBLGraphicsGLDriver: #2: No such file or directory
Apr  7 09:03:30 littlebox Obsidian Helper (GPU)[16219]: getattrlist failed for /Library/GPUBundles/AMDRadeonX5000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeonX5000SCLib.dylib: #2: No such file or directory
Apr  7 09:03:30 littlebox Obsidian Helper (GPU)[16219]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX5000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeonX5000SCLib.dylib: #2: No such file or directory
Apr  7 09:03:30 littlebox Obsidian Helper (GPU)[16219]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources//GLRendererFloat.bundle/GLRendererFloat: #2: No such file or directory
Apr  7 13:19:23 littlebox Obsidian Helper (GPU)[633]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelKBLGraphicsGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelKBLGraphicsGLDriver: #2: No such file or directory
Apr  7 13:19:23 littlebox Obsidian Helper (GPU)[633]: getattrlist failed for /Library/GPUBundles/AMDRadeonX5000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeonX5000SCLib.dylib: #2: No such file or directory
Apr  7 13:19:23 littlebox Obsidian Helper (GPU)[633]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX5000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeonX5000SCLib.dylib: #2: No such file or directory
Apr  7 13:19:23 littlebox Obsidian Helper (GPU)[633]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources//GLRendererFloat.bundle/GLRendererFloat: #2: No such file or directory
Apr  7 13:19:37 littlebox com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: Coalition Cache Evicted: app<application.md.obsidian.113111867.113112090(501)> [489]

I don’t know if it can help but few weeks ago, I finally followed this suggestion :point_down:

… Since then, I didn’t encounter any new KP so far :four_leaf_clover: (with the GPU enabled on Big Sur 11.2.3).

I’ll admit, I’ve been very cautious with the community plugins (until last week, I still didn’t use any), I don’t have any CSS snippets or Community themes.

1 Like

I had KPs until a few weeks back.
What’s changed: I did an internet restore and reset PRAM and SMP a few weeks back. I did this because my MPB 15" (mid 2015) battery needed service. That didn’t help with the battery so I had my battery (including top case) replaced by Apple two weeks ago.

Currently, I’m using 44 community plugins, 6 CSS snippets, the California Coast Theme and disabled translucency on macOS 11.2.3 and haven’t had a kernel panic in the last weeks.
I don’t use the graph view much which I thought to cause the KP’s in my situation.

What prevents the KPs in my current situation is not clear to me sorry to say.
But I just wanted to report as additional info to this thread.

Thanks for that update @janpeeters. I’m in a similar boat- no KPs in weeks and have been slowly adding more 3rd party plugins (definitely not 44 though—that may be some kind of record!)

I also have been shying away from the graph, mostly out of fear that it will trigger a KP. So again, that may really be the cause. I will probably try to use the graph view more if/when Obsidian moves to the next major Electron release (12).

2 Likes

Is this still happening?

It hasn’t happened to me in weeks. However, I just saw the above poster mention it might be related to graph view, which I ALSO haven’t used in weeks. But I rarely used graph view before, and KP wasn’t only triggered when I did, so the problem may well be resolved. I, at least, haven’t had a problem in a while.

It didn’t happened to me since resetting PRAM and SMP :four_leaf_clover: , which was now weeks ago :woman_shrugging:

I barely used the graph’ view though (as I was mostly working on a new vault, there was not much to see there). I still use Obsidian with the gpu enabled, few community plugins but no theme or CSS snippets and I’ve update Big Sur recently to 11.3 …

A few days ago I had a kernel panic after I installed and tried two new plugins. Uninstalled them right away :unamused:
I don’t know which one caused the problem, but they are both graphic heavy:
Excalidraw and Juggl

But for the rest everything is steady.
Just had another kernel panic :unamused:
macOS 11.3, Obsidian 0.12.1

It’s definitely still happening. I don’t think it’s because of graph view because I haven’t used it in weeks and I still get kernel panics around twice a week.

In case not everyone here is following the upstream issues, saw a glimmer of hope this morning in this comment.

I don’t know if this applies necessarily to Obsidian- @Licat or @Silver do you start the file watchers from the GPU Renderer process also?

6 Likes

Interesting. We do indeed run our watchers from the renderer. Unfortunately it’s not something we can change right now but we can definitely keep an eye on the development on that issue.

5 Likes

Thanks @Licat - I hope this turns out to be the solution. It would be so satisfying to close this out once and for all.

1 Like

Agreed. If we end up with more data from the github issue on electron (possibly a reliable repro), I may be able to file a TSI with Apple as well (I have one more allotted TSI; we have an Apple developer account).

5 Likes

I reset NVRAM and SMC but still get KPs.

Rarely but it happened twice with 0.12.1. While the active window was Zoom (but the stack trace was Obsidian).
It’s odd - it seems it’s gradually getting better, not all at once.

I just had my first KP, and for what it’s worth I’m on a 2013 MBP with an nVidia GPU. Obsidian was running in the background, without a graph view open.

macOS Catalina
Version 10.15.7 (19H15)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

This has got me rather worried because I’ve got a big gig coming up where I am planning to use my own Electron WebGL app to project visuals… so, having my computer restart while I’m sat at my desk is a minor inconvenience compared to the potential literal show-stopper there!

Thankfully I do run BrowserWindow with nodeIntegration: false etc, but somehow that’s not totally reassuring. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a similar KP on my machine, running VSCode constantly and often with my app / other WebGL things going on…

Certainly not blaming Obsidian for it, but very interested in narrowing down potential causes (preferably that don’t involve disabling GPU). As it happens, I do have a chokidar watch in my main process; I should probably disable that in gig-mode before I forget…

I’m now averaging about one KP per day all caused by the “Obsidian Helper (Renderer).” I realize that this is not Obsidian’s “fault,” but given the instability I don’t know that continued use of Obsidian is sustainable.

1 Like

Obsidian 0.12.3 comes with electron 12. You need to download and reinstall obsidian from the website.

5 Likes

If you’ve experienced a kernel panic after re-downloading the newest version, please let us know! I would want to know if there’s a stability issue for others :slight_smile:

1 Like