Kernel Panic on macOS (crash, reboot)

Oops, the backticks at the end were just some typo… Nevertheless, I didn’t paste the lines one at a time in the first place.

I’ve now tried your fix, but it didn’t change anything. Therefore, I’ve downloaded Obsidian again and tried your advice again, but I’m still getting stuck at the “loading plugins” screen.

Here are the results of your three commands again:

1st:

/Applications/Obsidian.app/Contents/MacOS/Obsidian-nogpu: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures: [x86_64:Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64] [arm64:Mach-O 64-bit executable arm64]

/Applications/Obsidian.app/Contents/MacOS/Obsidian-nogpu (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64

/Applications/Obsidian.app/Contents/MacOS/Obsidian-nogpu (for architecture arm64): Mach-O 64-bit executable arm64

2nd:

/Applications/Obsidian.app/Contents/MacOS/Obsidian: Bourne-Again shell script text executable, ASCII text

3rd:

#!/bin/bash
/Applications/Obsidian.app/Contents/MacOS/Obsidian-nogpu --disable-gpu

By the way, thank you very much for your help as well as your patience! :smiley:

@tim_hilde Ok that looks correct now. Not sure what the problem is…what plugins are you using? Does it work if you simply execute

/Applications/Obsidian.app/Contents/MacOS/Obsidian-nogpu --disable-gpu

from a Terminal directly?

I don’t have an M1 Mac to test with, but I guess it could be something different about that too- I know it’s a little more restrictive about what code is allowed to run.

There’s also this (pasted earlier) keyboard - How can I force command-line arguments to a program shortcut in the dock? - Ask Different

Yep, this works fine.

Also, disabling all plugins, quitting Obsidian and then starting it, still hangs in the loading screen…

Unfortunately, I just experienced this crash again with the --disable-gpu flag. Checked the logs to confirm:

Google Chrome Helper[20057]: Libnotify: notify_register_coalesced_registration failed with code 9 on line 2835

This does indeed seem to be a widespread Chromium/Electron issue: crash - Macbook (Big Sur) not asking for password after closing lid - Ask Different

1 Like

I’ve got this Chrome Helper message in the system.log repeating itself on and on too :roll_eyes: (the exact same one) … But as far as I can tell, it disappears once I quit Chrome (and Obsidian opened).

So far though, I didn’t run into a KP when running Obsidian with a --disable-gpu (MacOS Big Sur 11.2.3) but I didn’t really had the occasion to use it (I voluntarily left the graph view open, just for the sake of making Obsidian as ressources greedy as I could).

I’ve tracked this down to the following Chromium issue, I believe: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1068170

I don’t have permissions to comment there, so I emailed one of the devs the following:

I’ve been facing hard lock-ups on my Macbook Pro:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,3
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i9
Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 12 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 32 GB
System Firmware Version: 1554.80.3.0.0 (iBridge: 18.16.14347.0.0,0)

The lock-ups begin by gradually stalling out various apps, until I’m stuck with a beachball and have to hard restart. I always see the following in the logs then this occurs:

Mar 12 00:19:57 ogma Google Chrome Helper[6991]: Libnotify: notify_register_coalesced_registration failed with code 9 on line 2835

I’ve seen this crash caused by several Electron apps, as well as apps that use Chromium Embedded Framework (Spotify desktop app).

Here’s a thread of Obsidian users (an Electron app) trying to track down the source: (LINK)

The furthest Obsidian users have gotten is attempting to use command line flags to disable Chromium hardware acceleration. At the moment, I’m using --disable-gpu --disable-gpu-rasterization

There are a number of threads in Apple discussion forums about it: [LINK]

This is the closest I’ve found to a solution: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/fix-chrome-graphics-issues-but-without-turning-off-graphics-acceleration.221328/

I’ve also disabled graphics switching in my battery settings, as recommended in this thread. I haven’t experienced any lock-ups since then, but that was quite recent.

There’s a very lengthy MacRumors thread about this: [LINK]

A similar report in StackOverflow: [LINK]

This comment seems to indicate that Apple has dropped OpenGL support for non-M1 macs: https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/l0t04q/mac_pro_big_sur_apps_cant_find_gpu_drivers/gowex1b/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

That is confirmed by this post from Apple (see “Update GPU-Specific Code” section): Porting Your macOS Apps to Apple Silicon | Apple Developer Documentation

3 Likes

Had to remove some links from the above post:

3 Likes

Thank you for putting effort into this. I am not sure the blue/green screen corruption (of which we have another thread here for obsidian) is related to the kernel panic problem

2 Likes

I’m not sure how I found my way to that issue, initially. This one might be a better candidate.

2 Likes

We added a way to disable hardware acceleration in 0.11.7 (currently in insider). Please let us know if you get kernel panic with this option turned off.

Thanks!

5 Likes

Ijust got the kernel panic :rofl: even I turned off the hardware acceleration.

Laptop: Macbook pro M1
macOS 11.2.2
Obsidian: v0.11.7 (Installer version: v0.10.8)

But I found there is new update for macOS, I will try it later. (Hope they fix it…)
I think it’s not Obsidian’s problem. Thanks for dev team’s effort !!

Have you relaunched Obsidian after turning it off? I think that’s required for it to take effect. A relaunch button should appear after you disable it.

Thanks! I know it’s probably not something we can fix, but if there’s anything we can do to make it better we will!

2 Likes

Yes, I relaunched Obsidian, but I didn’t reboot my laptop.

Sigh…well maybe if disabling GPU doesn’t fix it, switching to Electron 12 will.

Waiting for Electron 12 to stabilize a bit before pulling it in (it will solve the spell checker issue too!)

So sorry this is happening in the meantime!

2 Likes

To follow up here, I ended up having to do the following to resolve this issue (which is being triggered on my machine by any Chromium-based app):

Just re-installing Big Sur from Internet Recovery didn’t seem to work. Once I attempted a downgrade (which didn’t actually boot) and then re-upgraded to Big Sur, I haven’t encountered any of the lock-ups.

Sadly, downgrading to Catalina is impossible in my case without losing all of my personal data. I didn’t have a Time Machine backup from Catalina, and creating a backup in Big Sur means that it’s unusable in Catalina.

I would create a backup of your data before attempting this process, in any case.

FWIW, I’m still on Catalina, and I’ve also been experiencing kernel panics related to the Obsidian helper process. I hope this issue gets sorted out in the next version of Electron. Nobody upstream seems to think it’s their fault (including Apple, unsurprisingly).

3 Likes

where does apple discuss this?

According to the comment on this thread (originally linked by @techpeace), Apple is working with AMD on a fix:
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1068170#c234