Integration with New Grammarly Desktop App

In the Discord and the forum there have been at times people asking for integration with Grammarly. Very recently it seems that Grammarly has released a new app Grammarly Desktop. In the past, see Any way to integrate Grammarly as plugin? - Plugins ideas - Obsidian Forum, Grammarly hasn’t ever really been an option for Obsidian because they don’t have an API. The new app floats above other applications. It allows Grammarly to be used in most most apps on macOS. Intially I thought maybe it is because Obsidian is an Electron app… but I don’t think it can be just that. It works in Discord and Slack which are both Electron apps. For some reason the text in Obsidian doesn’t let Grammarly see it. Being able to use the Grammarly Desktop would be great. The following is a screenshot of this new app working in Discord:

4 Likes

Are you using Windows or macOS? As far as I can tell, there is not a permission request that I need to grant for it to work in other apps. The Grammarly desktop app allows you to block it from working in specific apps (but I have not blocked it in Obsidian).

The floating Grammarly button is how it is supposed to work. In macOS, it shows up next to whatever textbox I am writing in. Then I can select it and see the recommendations that it offers/click the underlined text.

I have tried using Grammarly Desktop on Windows. Grammarly can read the text in Obsidian and shows the mistakes but it can’t correct them. It would be great if Grammarly on Desktop can be used in Obsidian.

3 Likes

Hmmm is it working for you in Obsidian (macOS)? I get the button in other apps, but not in Obsidian :frowning:

It does not work in macOS. I guess Liong1976 says it works in Windows as far as underlining the incorrect text but doesn’t allow the correction of the text.

1 Like

Same here. The bobble pops up and if I select a text it will suggest me the corrections but if I try to apply them it just adds them to the end of the selection.

4 Likes

I have the same issue here. It does find the issues in Obsidian but when I click on the bubble to see and correct them, they are gone. This is Windows 11 and Grammarly Desktop.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.