Any way to integrate Grammarly as plugin?

I’m a law student. I need Grammarly/Turnitin so when I write research notes I can let these app do some editing/changing/spell check, etc. Can it integrate into a plugin? Thanks for any ideas.

33 Likes

Of those two, only ‘Turnitin’ offers an API. So that one should be possible at least.

2 Likes

From what I can tell, this isn’t possible. The obsidian languagetool plugin isn’t quite as powerful as grammarly, but is close.

8 Likes

Some folks have tried to reverse engineer the grammarly api, but it’s hard to know how stable that would be: GitHub - stewartmcgown/grammarly-api: Unofficial TypeScript client for the Grammarly API

Unfortunately, a proper api doesn’t really seem to fit with grammarly’s business model, so it doesn’t seem likely we’ll see one anytime soon. LanguageTool is a decent replacement. I don’t find it nearly as accurate, but it will pick up basic things.

6 Likes

In the latest roundup mail by @EleanorKonik there was a link to @pseudometa post on discord about plugins for longform.
(here it is: Discord )

He mentioned languagetool: GitHub - Clemens-E/obsidian-languagetool-plugin: languagetool plugin for obsidian

Which is fine, but I’m a premium Grammarly user and their checks go further.

So I got into a rabbit hole on the subject, I knew there was a plugin for VSCODE with grammarly:

And the unofficial API: GitHub - stewartmcgown/grammarly-api: Unofficial TypeScript client for the Grammarly API

But apparently, Grammarly just started offering a preview to an API: https://developer.grammarly.com/

So either way, official or unofficial, it seems there is finally an opening to a Grammarly plugin.

22 Likes

This would be very useful for my workflow. + onsies in hopes someone develops a Grammarly plugin.

8 Likes

I notice there is also an API for ProWritingAid which happens to be the service I normally use in other software. https://prowritingaid.com/en/API/Documentation

I have no idea on how to create a plugin though, just thought I should mention it if someone is looking for grammar/writing related API’s.

2 Likes

You can have the same file open simultaneously in Obsidian and ProWritingAid; no need for an API really. You don’t see the results in Obsidian itself, but, given the number of reports ProWritingAid produces, would you really want to?

2 Likes

Haha, I am having one of those “Wait, what? Water is wet?” moments where I realise I hadn’t actually even thought about that. So obvious that I didn’t even think about that I guess. :rofl:

But yes, you are correct, I probably don’t want all that stuff in to Obsidian. I will now be opening up my files in ProWritingAid as well, in parallel. Much neater.

In fact, one of my most used usages of ProWritingAid is to turn it off where it embeds itself in for example my browsers, as it can be really annoying at times too when I just wish to write a short note or something. I do like it for when typing up longer texts/articles though.

3 Likes

Agree about turning it off sometimes when it’s embedded.
It’s great that it works direct with markdown files.

1 Like

Ideally, this would be a standalone product that did not require internet.

1 Like

There aren’t many good ones of those. LanguageTool, Hemingway, StyleWriter iirc

2 Likes

Grammarly now provides an early access API:

8 Likes

Following - I am very interested if someone builds a connection/plugin

6 Likes

I’d like to try to create a plugin for that since I always write with Grammarly.
I will try but there’s no promise and will let you guys know if there’s any progress.

3 Likes

An attempt has already been made here: GitHub - denisoed/obsidian-orthography: The Obsidian plugin for checking grammar and correcting spelling errors in text.

Looks like development stalled, but it could be a good learning opportunity.

4 Likes

Hi all,

I took a stab at it because I’d really like Grammarly support for my own studies. I am new to TypeScript, so it is what it is. PR’s are welcome, and I’ll keep developing it.

Simon

19 Likes

Hello! Just wanted to say I am going to give your plugin a try tonight! Please keep up the excellent work!

I tried your integration a few days ago and really liked it. Very simple to set up and looking forward to it developing into a listed community plugin. I’m new to Obsidian too. I actually only started using it because I found your project. Only took me a few minutes because of your great readme.

Also, while I’m here… I wanted to mention two quick things: 1) the sdk is no longer in early access (public), and 2) if anyone has feedback or issues integrating it, feel free to message me or head to our GH repo. Don’t want to clutter the convo here, but happy to try and help any way I can.

Disclosure: On the Grammarly team.

8 Likes

This is great, very helpful and should be marked as the go-to response/answer in OP. Thanks for implementing @simonpacis and look forward to updates whenever you get the time. Only suggestion would be some commands that can bind to hotkeys which we can use to accept/reject the Grammarly suggestions.

2 Likes