Any way to integrate Grammarly as plugin?

I use the Grammarly Desktop, which is not fully integrated into Obsidian but works like a charm:

The best thing, it works essentially on any app you want.

2 Likes

I also have Grammarly desktop, but it doesn’t seem to work in Obsidian. @sspaeti did you need to do anything special? or did it work ‘out of the box’?

1 Like

That’s awesome! Thank you so much!

I’m also curious to know how you got this to work since I’m also using Grammarly Desktop and Obisidan but can’t get Grammarly to integrate.

Is it a platform thing? I’m on Windows. Maybe the MacOS desktop tools are more integrated with eachother?

I’m on a Mac, indeed. I don’t recall to have done something specific to work. And I’m always in the “Editing View” with “Live Preview”, just in case that makes any difference.

1 Like

Hmm seems to be a mac v windows thing? I am also windows and Grammarly desktop doesn’t work with obsidian for me

Yeah, there is definitely a way. I have tried it, and it works :slight_smile:
Just go through the following link, and you shall be good.

https://www.notion.so/sharondevsection/simonpacis-obsidian-grammarly-plugin-Add-Grammarly-spellchecking-to-Obsidian-md-02018d1cacad4c8681fa2f59a489e635

3 Likes

I just wanted to say I just started using your plugin today (0.22 release) and so far it is GREAT! Thank you so much for making this!

Hello, I’m started using your plugin, and I want to say your plugin is fantastic !!

Thank you so much, it helps me a lot.

1 Like

Seems like the plugin is not working anymore with the latest Grammarly and Obsidian:(

The plugin isn’t needed as Grammarly Desktop works in Obsidian directly.

Sighs: a plugin for Grammarly is a moot point, apparently Grammarly has decided to put up a middle finger to developers. There is an unofficial plugin here: GitHub - simonpacis/obsidian-grammarly-plugin: Add Grammarly spellchecking to Obsidian.md.; however, Grammarly is discontinuing its SDK and the plugin will stop working in January 2024. The Grammarly Desktop is not available for Linux, but if you have a Mac or Windows machine, it should work for you, maybe.
I, on the other hand, am just out of luck because I refuse to use Windows, and Mac is too expensive. Now excuse me while I cancel my Grammarly account and remove the browser extension. Grammarly is now persona non grata and dead to me until they pull their heads out of their fourth point of contact.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, it doesn’t work on Windows.

Grammarly does generally work on the Mac. Interestingly, with Evernote, it works on Windows but not the Mac.

An update on this issue.

For some reason I get glimpses of Grammarly working in my vault. Rarely it ill correct my writing and the error counter will popup but then disappear. It is however a sign that Grammarly integration could work but there’s something maybe on Obsidian’s side causing the recommendations to disappear.

Here’s a screenshot I taken when it happened (can’t reproduce the issue so I just snapped a screen in a private document, ended up blurring stuff out with some words where Grammarly showed me the recommendations):

This also only just popped up for me in October, I’ve never seen Grammarly work even partially before so this could be a sign of something changing?

You all can find numerous articles online were you’ll learn why this service is a keylogger. They can share whatever you ever typed with whomever 3rd party they like. Just read their license to understand the details.

Since Obsidian philosophy is “local-first” this service is clearly a violation of user privacy and data integrity.

Example article on reddit, you’ll find many more if you want.

1 Like

This capability comes with the Grammarly Desktop app on MacOS. If you like, you can add Obsidian to the Block List.

It’s been a while since someone posted a request about Grammarly desktop app integration.

All topics are closed now:

Plus there are several topics about bugs with Grammarly, so it is kind of a long sad story by now :slight_smile: And because there is no real issue tracker (and no connection between these posts and the issue) - no one is reading this story.

I’d like to use Obsidian for my English, but I believe that instant feedback is beneficial in that area, so having a tool like Grammarly, which can provide me feedback on grammar and word usage will increase the efficiency of my learning.

So, right now I’m using LogSeq, which has this feature. I’d like to try Obsidian for that purpose because at least I like to structure my notes with folders and in LogSeq it is a bit difficult.

1 Like

My god Simon, you’re the best and such a lifesaver man. huge respect for your hard work. one of the easiest setups I’ve ever done and huge props to you again.

thanks, it was really easy to do.