How do you bind hotkeys to cursor movement?

Things I have tried

Searched help, forum, google - can’t find how to bind keys to cursor movement.

What I’m trying to do

In Emacs and vscode I can bind cmd+i/j/k/l to up/left/down/right, but can’t find a way to do this in Obsidian.

Will this require developing a custom plugin?

2 Likes

I’m also interested in this.

As a new user, I searched this forum for other posts related to cursor movement in Obsidian, though haven’t discovered any advice (besides for using MacOS presets, yeet).

I’m open to authoring a Plugin for improving movement options inside of Obsidian, including up-down-left-right, avy-like key-movement, and beginning/end of line functionality, as this is just about my only gripe about Obsidian at this point (and I’m a gripe-laden SOB).

I’d like to know if there’s a good reason someone else hasn’t already done so.

1 Like

The best temporary work around for me at the moment is to enable vim mode. I’m glad that feature exists, but it’s not really a good response to

“why isn’t there an option to rebind movement keys?”

This is especially salient for non-qwerty (international, dvorak, etc) keyboard users.

If this is as simple as slapping up some typescript for an extension, I’d be glad to do so, but I’d like to know if there’s a reason it hasn’t already been done.

Since this fits more in the Feature Request category, I’m moving to a thread there.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.