Hotkeys to go forward or back a day in the daily notes folder

Idea: hotkeys to go forward/back a day in your daily notes. e.g. if i’m on 2020-05-14, hotkey to go back takes me to 2020-05-13 (for easy navigation across days). Hotkey to go forwards takes me to 2020-05-15.

16 Likes

If there’s no note for a day, do you expect it to be skipped?

1 Like

I’d say it would go to the most recent day so yes skipped. You’d probably need some UI if you’re already at the newest/oldest note though.

7 Likes

That makes sense to me!

I think it would also be nice if it was an option to choose to have obsidian create a new note for the day if one doesn’t already exist? with perhaps default being jump to next available note; I like to write little bits of tasks or notes for different days so that when I get to the day, it’s there for me, so this would be a nice way to be able to plan for “tomorrow”

1 Like

@pikacho Would it be useful to create past dates though?
For the “planning for tomorrow” use case, It might make sense to show a popup if you’re at the end of the timeline with an option to create a new note for the next date

1 Like

the option for the pop up for the next date sounds great!

I personally like to journal past events from time to time, so I would find it useful! also if people are importing things from analog sources or even other digital sources, it might be helpful as well perhaps?

I think it would be nice if we could have a mini calendar to generate journals assigned to specific dates, and if that’s implemented, then as you mentioned, might not be necessary for the hotkey in the daily notes to create a non-existing journal for a previous day

2 Likes

That’s a good idea, and a plugin for it has already been suggested by @scmwiz: Calendar view hot key

3 Likes

agreed! my use case would be to quickly and easliy go through existing Daily Notes chronologically to review content. Creating a new note for a missing day is already so easy. I don’t think it needs the additional UI overhead.

3 Likes

I was thinking of a hotkey for going to yesterday’s note, but a hotkey going forward/backward is even better! Would be very useful.

1 Like

I currently utilize “yesterday” and “tomorrow” a lot when using another system for daily notes (vscode Journal extension). Adding those keywords would be a good feature (in my mind). I know everything is still in beta, but if this gets open sourced, I would have likely made a PR instead of this message.

2 Likes