Hotkey to navigate between panels

I’d like to be able to move between panels without using the mouse. I have these set up in emacs and vim as hjkl with a modifier, but I will understand if we make the default something less nerdy.

13 Likes

In the hot key setup you can switch between the panes through cmd + alt + left or right. Though right now when you switch from one pane to the other the cursor does not follow. So that might be a bug.

3 Likes

This isn’t true switching, but more of a “go back in history” kind of navigation. I guess OP means the equivalent of “switching between tabs” in a browser.

5 Likes

I see, it was acting a bit weird. In VScode there is the shortcut cmd + number to switch between panes, so that would be a nice pattern.

1 Like

Is the pane number obvious there or you have to count them mentally first?

You have to count them mentally first. So there could be a point in having a small number on the pane to signify how to reach it by that number.

There’s a feature in several emacs and vim pane-switching solutions where hitting a hotkey dims the contents and displays a switching character, that’s also a possibility.

But I really want directional switching, as well.

4 Likes

I am fine with it being nerdy. I love this tool because it is more programmer friendly. I hope we add support for this soon!

1 Like

The hotkey + switching character approach works brilliantly for me when ‘clicking’ using the keyboard (first discovered this way of navigating using Vimium in Chrome).

My eyes are already on the thing I want to click , I subconsciously hit the hotkey and then automatically hit the letter that appears over the thing that I’m looking at.

This is an example of the Vimium overlay. It might look a bit messy but it’s on the screen for less than a second and works really well in practice.

4 Likes

There are hotkeys
“Focus on pane to the left”
“Focus on pane to the right”
mentioned already in https://forum.obsidian.md/t/obsidian-release-v0-7-5/2780

“Focus on above/below/left/right pane”

And also plugin Cycle through panes

Can this be archived or is something still missing? @mediapathic

5 Likes

I prefer to Vimium, too.

Thanks a lot! I just set mine to Cmd+Shift+[ and Cmd+Shift+] to mimic the same behaviour in Finder and web browsers while using tabs.

1 Like

Yes. “Focus” is the keyword!

Hello everyone, currently is there any update on this. Every time I open multiple tabs, I need to click it from one to the other using mouse. Not user-friendly. Is there any way we could do it like web browser tab. Shift + Tab or Shift + Ctrl + Tab. :slight_smile:

@lawweiliang There are multiple shortcuts to navigate between pans and there are also third party plugins to do so.