Graph View: Change Dots to Icons

The Graph View shows dots, a lot of dots, how about changing dots to Icons? The idea is to allow user to customize the dot by specifying an icon [png, jpg] or an emoji to help the user pinpoint a particular note visually.

22 Likes

Oooo interesting idea.

2 Likes

I use emoji’s in the file name for some of my key files - these show up in the graph.
I just copy an emoji from emojipedia.org, and paste at the front of a filename in the title bar, or when I create the file.

4 Likes

I use emoji’s in the file name for some of my key files - these show up in the graph.
I just copy an emoji from emojipedia.org , and paste at the front of a filename in the title bar, or when I create the file.

Isn’t it easier use ‘Win+.’ ?

1 Like

The Win+. shortcut is one way of adding emojis on windows , since obs is a multi-platform application, Jeffurry suggestion is another way of adding emojis.

1 Like

It’d be great to use something like the frontmatter section to let us define how we want our nodes presented on the graph. I can think of a number of use cases, like being able to see the stages of your evergreen notes visually.

Alternatively, I think having a feature to select an icon from a list in the color groups for each search field would probably work wonders. I could see a little smiley face icon searchable selector next to each color, with a null by default.

Many open source modern graphing libraries in js support at least font-icon overlays, like through font awesome or google icons

With that, maybe we just need an option to put raw text input to overlay on top of the notes. I’d probably call that field “label” and put it in next to the search input. … and maybe a setting to enable or disable it in the user prefs. Then we could just find a way to load fonts in ourselves and use the font or emoji aliases?

4 Likes

Plus 1 for this.

1 Like

This would be really useful for me. I have a vault where all notes are organized into folders by country, so it would be great to change dots to country flags instead of just colours.

Can I use icon to replace the dot right now?

This would really help for colorblind people (like me), who find it difficult to identify by color alone. Some colors like green/yellow and blue/purple look identical to me.

1 Like

This feature is supported in another app named Anytype, and I hope this will be considered in obsidian as well. And does the link will support defining properties (e.g. link attribute in neo4j) so that I can filter specific link properties or give specific colors to a certain type of link.

Node Icons in Anytype:

Link attributes in Neo4j:

3 Likes

I realized that link attribute can be partly defined by node types of start and end nodes.

1 Like

Could you elaborate what you mean with different node types of start and end nodes? I’m also trying to emulate an anytype-kind of graph view with different kinds of relations.

Does anyone know about a plugin to have icons in the graph before this cool feature being implemented in the future?