Folding: pressing up arrow when cursor is behind 3 dots unfolds the contents below

This is my 2nd out of 3 bug reports regarding folding. I will edit the text soon to provide links to the other ones.

Steps to reproduce

1. Open Sandbox vault and [[Start Here]] note.
  2. Use Fold all headings and lists command
  3. In live preview mode, place the cursor at the end of the first folded header line (right after 3 dots).
  4. Press up arrow - instead of the cursor going up, the section below unfolds.

Expected result

The cursor should simply go up and the section below should not unfold.

Actual result

The section below unfolds and the cursor lands somewhere below.

Environment

• Operating system: macOS Ventura 13.1

• Debug info:

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.1.16
Installer version: v1.0.3
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 22.2.0: Fri Nov 11 02:04:44 PST 2022; root:xnu-8792.61.2~4/RELEASE_ARM64_T8103 22.2.0
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

problem 2 out of 3 - https://youtu.be/g-iOiMur1Ms

Might be a related bug report:
Folded sections/lists are expanded when cursor passes them in vim mode

1 Like

Oh I think I can’t edit after another note links to it?

Thanks this is currently intentional.

If you are past the 3 dots you can assume that the cursor is at the end of the folded section and cursor navigation happens accordingly including unfolding because the cursor moved within the folded section

Hmm, you might be right that this is the preferred way for let’s say majority of users, but are you sure? Do you use this functionality yourself?

For me this folding/unfolding is something I compare to html <details> element or folding in sublime text. My preference would be that once I explicitly fold something, it will not unfold unless I explicitly request it (it shouldn’t be possible to happen by accident). There is no way someone can get into trouble not knowing how to unfold, because there is always the small arrow to the left of the line.

Screen recording from folding in sublime text:

+1 to mcaay. I feel more ambiguously about what the behavior should be if you use left/right arrows to cross the 3 dots, but I think up/down should always just navigate between the lines that are currently visible. It’s pretty disorienting to have stuff suddenly unfold when you’re just trying to navigate between the currently-visible lines.

2 Likes

will be fixed 1.5.4

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.