Folding in preview

I actually take some time at the preview mode to try to collapse the list, until I realise it is only implemented in the edit mode.

Is there a hotkey that can be assigned for “collapse/expand present item”? Ideally, one that toggles open and closed? It would be great to have. OmniFocus has a very good implementation: in the outline view there, you can collapse/expland one or all items. What I would really love is also to have a way to collapse (fold) all but the present block. That would really show the advantages of the document-based, headings-within-a-page approach: an evergreen note might be 4 pages long when fully expanded, but if there where eight h2 headings, I could quickly switch to looking at only a half-page of text (with all but one heading collapsed).

1 Like

Desperately need toggle lists in preview mode

Same here. Desperately in need of toggle folding in preview mode, this can help transform obsidian as a powerful learning tool!

And keep them expanded/collapsed. Whenever I change from editor to preview mode all lists are expanded again. :angry:

This is crucial in making and organizing outlines. A lot of my daily tasks have sub-tasks, too. I’d love to be able to hide information by toggling bullets.

25 Likes

Agreed! Though, I can’t even figure out how to collapse them at all (in either mode).

1 Like

In settings -> editor, there are two options for folding. One to enable it on headings, and one to enable it on lists.

1 Like

Not in preview mode, though.
And also they doesn’t keep the collapse status after reopening.
Which is what this Feature request is for.

4 Likes

+1 for this. Also it’d be nice to have a keyboard shortcut to collapse all and to be able to have things collapsed in preview mode as well.

3 Likes

I would really like the feature of a collapse all / expand all button.

I know there is a WYSIWYG editor planed and for that I don’t think a “remember the folding state” feature hast to implemented now, if it gets discarded anyway (it’s probably not worth the effort).

But a simple button that will collapse/expand all, seems (without any programming experience) easy to do and would save a lot(!) of time.
So even if it gets expanded when opening, it’s just one click to get an organized view.

To have such a feature in the near future would be awesome!

+1 for mac

Definitely a +1 for me! It’s useful for when I just want an overview of the headings / bullets on a single page quickly.

+1 for windows

Note, please, all, that there’s no platform differences here. In 99% of use, all Obsidian features are identical on all platforms—the 1% difference is found in how OS features/apps interact with Obsidian (e.g., different automation tools).

No need to vote for feature development for your platform. A vote for a feature is a vote for a feature.

3 Likes

+1. please :slight_smile:

+1,thx

+1000 would love to have folding options for both preview and edit modes. Along with “Fold all” “Un-fold all” and “Fold to level n” key binds :slight_smile:

Yes, please, do it :slight_smile: And not just collapsing - for some reason, tab-indents are also not seen in preview mode.

Sorry to add a very late reply, but this is just how Markdown works. It removes extra white-space. So tab-indents or double-spaces are not going to show up.

If you want to display indentation, you can use nested bullets. Or use triple back-ticks to make a code block. Or use some html tags. Not all html tags are supported. For example, &tab; doesn’t seem to be supported yet. But   does work.

3 Likes

+1 Please

1 Like

+1 Please. Folding in preview would be really helpful. Thanks

1 Like