Folding in preview

it would be more efficient to review notes if we can impliment notion like toggle system.

24 Likes

Just created a forum account so I could second this. Toggling nested bullet points like Roam or Notion would be super helpful.

14 Likes

I agree. It is a really powerful feature to be able to hide information

6 Likes

I created an account to support this. I think this is a dealbreaker between roam research and Obsidian

5 Likes

You can toggle both headings and lists in edit mode (fold indent / fold heading). This works fine or me. From what I understand the edit mode will get the option to preview directly (WYSIWYG-style) so it looks neater as well.

2 Likes

In desperate need of this function too! I use this for note taking and I prefer to have most content hide to get a clean look and also critical for reviewing the notes. Right now the preview isn’t terribly helpful for reviewing notes. Please add this function…

3 Likes

When update Toggle list in preview mode ?

2 Likes

I also support this feature request. Maybe it would fit as plug-in suggestion tho.

2 Likes

I truly agree this tool is essential. As Notion works with Markdown syntax I found that the keyboard shortcut for toggles is > which is really helpful. I’m planning to mix both Notion and Obsidian and I’m glad they work with markdown as my notes can move to any system : )

2 Likes

I would love to see this feature. Sadly, it’s not on the developer Trello board. Maybe, after they implement the WYSIWYG editor, this may become a possibility.

1 Like

Remember that you don’t have to use Obsidian to review your notes.
Many have more developed fold options, though the navigation between documents will probably not duplicate.

It would be great if the folding feature could be used in preview too.

I think it would also be very useful if the note could retain its current fold status.

37 Likes

i like to see fold heading and fold indent feature in preview windows

5 Likes

Great idea!

How is it supposed to look anyway? I enabled the features already, but Idk where the collapsing is supposed to happen?

Edit: Nevermind, I see it now. It didnt happen right away.

I just found out that you can download Notion as markdown files which blew my mind. Unfortunately on of the tools that I would like that it would work as Notion it is the toggle list. I found this GitHub site where they give a Markdown code for toggles, however, it does not work on Obsidian. Here you can check it, I hope it gets implemented in a Notion way, and even cooler that we could zoom in specific areas like in Dynalist : )

5 Likes

I would love to see this feature in preview mode as well. As a student it would help to see the headings and review the information that is folded in before actually reading the material.

3 Likes

I also would love both of these things - fold in preview at the very least, and save folded state as well. Without these, I actually don’t see the point of folding whatsoever…

Right now, it’s only possible to collapse lists / headings in Edit mode. This seems like something that should be possible also in the Preview mode.

Also, this ties in to the other request here about “remembering collapsed status.” If it gets implemented in Preview mode, there might be a neat way to remember collapsed status between Preview/Edit modes. Currently, if you collapse a heading/list in Edit, switch to Preview, then switch back, you lose the collapsed view despite not having switched to a different file.

(Possibly a bug report, given expected / current behavior? I’ll leave it here for now.)

29 Likes

I use the collapse feature as an organization and layouting feature. I think that it can help a lot in the preview mode and not only on the edit mode.

1 Like