Folding in preview

I support the support of this feature!

1 Like

yes,it will be really helpful

Yes would be awesome. I use obsidian to sometimes quickly present stuff on video calls and it would be nice to fold some contents while doing so. Would also love to fold headings for better readability.

+1

+1 We really need it )

1 Like

+1 yes, please!

1 Like

+1. Windows. And would be great if it works in WYSIWYG mode.

+1! I also find it odd that “Find in File” doesn’t work in Preview, and that Preview also can’t highlight individual lines when you click to them from the search. You have to be in Edit to get to these features, but when I’m looking through my notes I prefer to be in Preview.

Another +1 … would be quite nice

These folks call it out as a key weakness …

Just downloaded, and what an amazing tool! Thank you!

4 Likes

I’m not entirely sure adding features to preview should be a priority when wysiwyg is on the horizon.

1 Like

On the horizon? It’s on their roadmap but it’s in the long-term section, and I doubt that they are currently working on it. It would be great to have folding working in preview until WYSIWYG editor is ready, since it’s a very important feature for a lot of people.

3 Likes

The end of the year maybe has been mentioned for some of the long term items. WYSIWYG is very popular. All dates are uncertain but they’ve hit targets faster than you expect with software, so omens are good.

The problem is that there’s only so much development time; time going into changing the preview will extend the time to wysiwyg. I’m assuming that most who want this feature won’t use it once wysiwyg arrives.

2 Likes

Fair enough. If the WYSIWYG editor is likely to be released around the end of this year, then I suppose it’s worth the wait instead of delaying it further.

1 Like

That’s my feeling. All uncertain but speed so far has been incredible. Biggies, now that search has been addressed, are publish, sync, wysiwyg, mobile and api. All are firm targets.

For now, I use external editors for the extra features I need. Can even have Obsidian open in another window.

1 Like

I use external editors for the extra features I need

Mind sharing which app this is? :grinning:

WYSIWYG is not important to me. In my opinion, it is even harmful, because This will make the interface heavier and slow down the app.
And here are some improvements in previev will greatly simplify my life

2 Likes

Nevertheless it’s a major part of the roadmap. Option to see source will be there, but I think preview will disappear. You’d have to switch between source and wysiwyg.

1 Like

I use many at one time or another.

My primary option is WriteMonkey 3, which I used well before any shift to markdown. Looks simple, but is quite complex under the hood. Superb folding, but won’t interest many here because preview is just in a small side panel (I usually have it switched to other functions).

Some prefer to stick to the older version 2.7.
WM3 stores everything in a json database, but syncs that with linked files which is how I use it. 2.7 works only with files.

If I want WYSIWYG, I use Typora. Popular here and I know Silver is aiming at something similar for WYSIWYG here. Don’t especially like it myself.

I know some use VSCode with the Foam and Memo extensions. Probably OK if you usually have VSCode open. I’m not sure what extra functions they value over those in Obsidian.

Yes! Please! The un/ availability of folding in preview has a big influence on how I compose notes.

1 Like

it seems 0.81 bings more freedom to use HTML tags :

we can now use <details><summary> to create collapsible ‘outlines’ in preview mode.
but currently there are a few drawbacks :

• [[links]] don’t work inside the tags
  • no transclusions either
  • can’t nest code blocks / quote blocks

@Silver @Licat : Do you think we could achieve the same result as HTML5 <details> in GitHub · GitHub inside Obsidian ?

I would love the same result in obsdiain as the example below :

A collapsible section with markdown

Click to expand!
def func():
    return 'hello, world!'

Nested

root
bin
nest1
a
b
c
nest2

a
b
c

file1
file2
file3
boot

x
y
z

dev

p
q
r

etc

e
t
c

home

me
you
everyone

lib

lib
er
ate

but currently we get this :

7 Likes

Yes, please, do it :slight_smile: And not just collapsing - for some reason, tab-indents are also not seen in preview mode.

1 Like