[Feature] support "Pasting" images

Platform

[x] iOS
[x] Android

Obsidian Mobile version: v1.0.3

Recently I had a discussion on a feature request for Imgur plugin to support mobile.

I tried the following on both - Android and iOS:

• Google images search with mobile browser
    • tap and hold any image
    • press “copy” from context menu
  • Switch to Obsidian mobile app,
    • press and hold text area,
    • “paste” from context menu

On both platforms: nothing happens on “paste”. I am sure there there is a technical capability for this to work. The clipboard supports not only text, but also images, like PC. I’ve successfully tested image “paste” with Telegram.

So, this is the feature request to support pasting images from the buffer.

Additional question: there is already one way to attach images from camera roll/gallery to obsidian mobile vault. What event is used for attaching images this way? It’s definitely not “drag” or “paste”, because current version of the Imgur plugin does not react on adding image from mobile device.

15 Likes

I am not sure, but probably this bug report is directly related to my feature request

1 Like

+1 for this, it would make using notability/obsidian so much better

3 Likes

+1, being able to paste screenshots of my handwritten notes directly on the iPad would be life changing.

5 Likes

Use case or problem

On iOS 15 take screenshot and then copy to clipboard
Go to Obsidian and paste at curse point. Nothing happens

Proposed solution

Simple, implement paste functionality same as on desktop Obsidian. The image is immediately added to the defined folder in settings and image is inserted into the active note at curse position.

Current workaround (optional)

Take one or more screenshots
Go to Obsidian
Click on Image icon on toolbar at bottom of window
Navigate to the image and select it
Repeat as many time as you need to

ALTERNATIVELY
Use iOS Files app, copy all files from Photo app to relevant folder in Obsidian folder
Use Notes and create entry per each file and update filename as follows:
![[File1.jpeg]]
![[File2.jpeg]]
![[File3.jpeg]]

Copy text above and paste into Obsidian Note and check it works

Related feature requests (optional)

This enhancement is similar but not the same:

This is to allow send from an iOS app etc to Obsidian. The issue above is pasting directly into Obsidian note on Mobile device.

4 Likes

It’s been more than a year since the last comment on this thread, I’m surprised not many people seem to want this feature. Maybe due to people mostly using obsidian in desktop os… Anyway, if there’s a way to push this request faster by commenting or suggesting more like to the previous comments, here’s a reminder that some of us are still waiting impatiently for its implementation…

2 Likes

+1 Are there any news on this FR ?

I can’t figure out how to paste an image to Obsidian mobile…

1 Like

You can share your image from the photo library to obsidian and insert an image at your cursor position.

I’m just installing Obsidian on all my devices. For journaling I expect to be capturing images and text to Obsidian on my iPhone, and was really surprised that a copied image cannot be pasted into Obsidian. When I tap and hold, there is no paste option, almost as if Obsidian doesn’t see anything on the clipboard.

I’m excited by Obsidian’s capabilities and potential but this has made me stop to reconsider.

Please add my vote for implementing or fixing this. Thank you!

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. This is basic required stuff.

1 Like

Who am I kidding? A month later and Obsidian has become essential. Pasting images would still be great, though!

It’s clunky, but this process works reliably on iOS/iPadOS for pasting images. Perhaps Android has a similar share from photo roll option?

https://forum.obsidian.md/t/ipad-screenshot-copy-to-system-then-paste-into-obsidian-doesn-t-work/52494/2

Another workaround

1. take screenshot
  2. Click “share” button (present after screenshot on Android)
  3. Share to Obsidian
  4. Click import into vault
  5. Click insert into Today’s note or other note

This works but it’s doubling the storage cost of screenshots, since it’s copying them into the attachments folder.

will be implemented in v1.4.2

3 Likes