Duplication of character strings during kanji conversion in Japanese IME(ATOK)

Steps to reproduce

1. Select some of the characters you have already entered.
  2. Enter a new character string.
  3. Press the kanji conversion key (ex. spacebar) to perform the kanji conversion.

Expected result

1. The first candidate for kanji conversion will be displayed. The kanji conversion process is ongoing, and if you press the kanji conversion key again, the next candidate will be displayed.

Actual result

1. The first kanji conversion candidate is entered in a confirmed state. The kanji conversion process is still in progress, resulting in a double input of the input string.

Environment

Windows 10, Obsidian v0.13.16 (installer v0.13.14)
The above occurs when using a Japanese IME called ATOK.
This problem does not occur with other IMEs such as Microsoft IME and Google Japanese Input, so it may be due to ATOK’s unique behavior.
On the other hand, this phenomenon occurs only with new editor, not with legacy editor or CM6 on the web (CodeMirror 6), so I think Obsidian-specific processing is also involved.

Additional information

When I am typing Japanese using ATOK, the suggestions for links and tags are also not working properly during and immediately after kanji conversion.
This also only happens with new editor and not with Microsoft IME or Google Japanese Input.
obsidian_ATOK

I noticed that the behavior I mentioned above is very similar to the phenomenon in the linked thread.
The observable behavior is the same, but the problem here occurs (in ATOK only) when typing and Kanji conversion with an existing string selected, while the problem there occurs when typing and Kanji conversion in a blank line.

On Linux, Fcitx/Mozc always inputs first conversion candidate when typing Kanji, making duplicates of a word or unneeded word inputted

I saw the behavior described in the link occurred in v0.13.31 and fixed in v0.13.32.
However, the behavior in this thread has not changed in v0.13.32.
Is there any possibility to fix it?

Isn’t v0.13.32 not released yet?

I am sorry but we don’t have the resource to look into all possible IME systems. We stick with what is bundled with the OS.

If you haven’t already, I suggest you to download and reinstall obsidian. Perhaps a newer version of electron can help.

Does it happen with the new editor in source code mode?

I used insider build v0.13.32.
I encountered the blank line problem temporarily, but v0.13.32 seems to have solved it.
On the other hand, the replace with ATOK problem is still there in v0.13.32.
The installer version is v0.13.31 (Is this the latest version?).

I fully understand that you can’t cover all IMEs.
ATOK is the most popular paid IME, but I think it has fewer users than other free IMEs such as Microsoft-IME.
The behavior I saw was very similar to the problem mentioned in the above link, so I assumed that the same mechanism (I don’t know the details) is occurring elsewhere.

The problem occurs in both LP mode and source mode.

Unfortunately, the problem is not the same.

If ATOK doesn’t work in source mode, it shouldn’t work here either using chrome.

Are you sure it doesn’t happen on codemirror 6 website?

I tried again, but the duplication occurs only in Obsidian(new editor).

CodeMirror-6-Google-Chrome-2022-03-11-14-07-10
Obsidian-Help-Obsidian-v0.13.33-2022-03-11-13-56-24

1 Like

In v0.14.9 beta, this problem appears to have been resolved (the problem remained in v0.14.7). Thank you, developers :smile:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.