California Coast Theme

Note from a user of the theme: The update that fixed the transparency problem on Windows also fixed an issue with scrolling that I was having, as I use a trackpad, so if anyone else is having a scrolling issue where it feels choppy or laggy, you should update your CSS with the new version!

Hello, thank you very much for the theme you created, I think this is the best Obsidian currently. But I encountered some problems in use, all the pictures were enlarged to 100% width, I tried to adjust but no effect. Thanks again

Using it and loving it. :beers:

1 Like

@mgmeyers I LOVE your theme, is incredible.

Unfortunately is super choppy in a MacBook Pro (i7, 16 gb ram, dedicated GPU) running Big Sur. it doesn’t matter if I use translucency or not

9 January, 2021 - Loom Recording - Watch Video

Hmm, interesting. Would you be willing to send me that markdown file in the video? May help me diagnose what’s going on here.

I’ll message you!

I found a bug. Block embed doesn’t show in preview.

Anyway, thank you for the great theme and plugin. :pray:

Hmm, are you on the latest version of the theme? Also, do block embeds work with the default theme for you?

Yes, it’s the latest. Works normal in default theme.
However, I can’t reproduce the bug. In other notes, it works.

Possible bug? PDF Embed doesn’t show link/button to open in external editor

Obsidian v0.10.7
California Coast v0.0.8

Edit mode:
Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 3.27.58 PM

California Coast:

Default Theme:

Huh. Thanks, I’ll take a look!

Note that as of Obsidian v0.10.8 this is a bit of a non-issue for PDFs at least, they are now embedded like images and other media types.
May still be an issue for non-embeddable files.

Ran into this same problem. It’s this line in the CSS: https://github.com/mgmeyers/obsidian-california-coast-theme/blob/a81dd45de9dd7febde7b2725a6e0e57198a14555/obsidian.css#L1334

border-top-left-radius: var(--radius-m);

GPU memory usage with it enabled
before

After disabling it
after

It’s an interaction with the titlebar / hider. So, until @mgmeyers can merge in the change, there are 2 ways to fix it, based on if you want to keep the title bar shown or not.

Remove the title bar (easiest)
Go into Hider settings and enable “Hide title bar (frameless mode)”.

Keep the title bar (slightly harder)

1. Download the raw CSS by clicking here
  2. Once downloaded, open the file and delete the line from above [#1334], then save the file
  3. Open obsidian options, go to Appearance -> CSS Snippets and click the folder icon to open your custom snippets folder
  4. Drag the downloaded/edited CSS file to the snippets folder
  5. Go back to obsidian, you should now see a new file under CSS snippets. Enable it
  6. Change main obsidian theme to “minimal”
  7. Lag should be gone :crossed_fingers:

Edit: Also @mgmeyers – Theme is awesome. Using your theme is the first time I’ve been able to make a full swap from Bear to Obsidian for editing, instead of just linking. Thanks for all the hard work

Wow, wild! I had no idea a CSS rule like this wreak so much havoc.

I’ve removed it and updated the theme. Thanks for tracking this down.

1 Like

Hey there @mgmeyers. Very nice and beautiful them. Really love this. But I run into an issue with pdf export. In Obsidian with your theme everything looks nice and shiny.

If I use the export to pdf command I get totally wrong letters in the exported pdf:

If I use another theme with the same note, everything is quite fine:

So either I am doing something wrong here or there is a bug in your style…
Can you help me?

Thanks again for this very great looking theme!

Yikes! I’ll take a look

1 Like

Very much enjoying the theme. Thank you, @mgmeyers

I might be old-fashioned, but I have a strong preference for:

• folded line-items as “:arrow_forward:” (right-pointing solid triangle)
  • un-folded line-items as “▼” (down-pointing)

The ‘down-and-diagonal’ approach keeps confusing me, sadly. If you’re set on the current style, totally understand. But would you happen to know the CSS snippet I could active to revise these myself, locally? That’d be awesome!

Thanks again for all your hard work!

@inakarmacoma Can you post a screenshot of what you’re seeing? It should look like this:

Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 9.15.09 AM

Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 9.17.13 AM

Oh, @mgmeyers, sure thing! Your screenshot looks like what I am trying to achieve. I wonder what’s causing this, then…

example_list

Ah, do you have the latest California Coast Theme plugin installed? It adjusts many of the icons. You may need to restart obsidian after installing / updating the plugin.