Autocorrect Text

This resource is awesome. I use Espanso for the same thing system-wide. As an example, since I have an annoying tendency to hit the semicolon instead of the apostrophe, I have an ever-expanding replacement list that looks like this:

You’ve reminded me that I keep forgetting to add propagate_case: true to these. There goes the next couple of hours… :slight_smile:

edit: underscores, sheesh.

1 Like

The Language Tool plugin, while great, does not autocorrect as you type. (IF it does, someone please tell me how!)

4 Likes

I’m a newbie in Obsidian - how do we add these codes in to obsidian?

Already the native autocorrect and spellchecker used in macOS would be wonderful!

4 Likes

Same here. Would love to have some form of autocorrect.

2 Likes

I use the Typing Transformer plugin as a makeshift auto-correction tool.
I have tested it on 56000 lines worth of rules and it works fast. The plugin also works on mobile (where I think most people would still use their keyboard’s auto-correction features).
I write in a native language that uses many compound words (like German) and is agglutinative, so I need to put spaces before and after both my “BadWords” and “GoodWords”, but it is less of a problem in English.
I cannot recommend it enough.

I also have two vast dictionaries (English and my native-language one) that I use with the Various Complements plugin, which unfortunately doesn’t do auto-correction.
The two plugins should sort of be merged into one.

1 Like

Adding my vote. Spelling auto correct is a necessary, basic functionality, even though I realize it a significant coding project. I have to open EVERY sheet in iA Writer or TextEdit if I’m going to add more than a few words.

2 Likes

The macOS built-in autocorrect would suffice for me.

5 Likes

I’d love to see macOS built-in autocorrect! Despite the problems with Electron (it is a bug, isn’t?), it would be a very good start indeed!

2 Likes

+1 please add

3 Likes

The lack of autocorrect might be a deal breaker for me. I’m not able to achieve the flow that I need in order to fully utilize Obsidian. I

3 Likes

But not for us Windows users :slight_smile:

(This is my request to 1) enable an autocorrect that 2) has cross OS compatibility)

2 Likes

The Linter plugin has some of this functionality: GitHub - platers/obsidian-linter: An Obsidian plugin that formats and styles your notes with a focus on configurability and extensibility.

1 Like

really missing this as well – MacOS native autocorrect speeds up my typing quite a lot. That said, my understand is that Obsidian is built on Electron, and so support for autocorrect would probably have to come from there.

3 Likes

I support this idea.
One thing I’ve noticed is that the windows(I use windows 10) apps have the auto-correct function. Apps from store and system apps. Ex. If I miss a ^ it auto corrects it.
Someone knows if there is a possibility to just “allow” windows to affect obsdian?

1 Like

I’m also here to support this idea. I used Notepad++ for a global change, but I’d much rather have autocorrect be part of Obsidian, and/or the option to global find/replace.

2 Likes

See also: OS-level autocorrect in macOS

Hi there, is there a current workaround for an autocorrect system similar to the MacOS system level one available in Obsidian yet? Just downloaded a few days ago, did not realize this would even be something I would have to consider while choosing a note-taking app haha. Thanks!

2 Likes

See Eleanor’s suggested workaround above Autocorrect Text - #13 by EleanorKonik

Also see @Synchronicity’s assumption. I have the same experience in VS Code as well …

1 Like