Autocorrect Text

Is there any possibility that a general Autocorrect feature could be added to the existing Spell Checker?

I generally write in a stream of consciousness and don’t pay any attention to capitals or even spelling. If the first letter in a sentence and proper nouns could be capitalized, that alone would be massively helpful. But fixing general spelling errors - a la Word or SwiftKey - would take it to another level.

Here’s a list of open source Spell Check tools, some of which appear to include such a function.

https://awesomeopensource.com/projects/spellcheck

NordSpell seems to be the standard one used by Openoffice, Firefox and more), but SymSpell sounds like an extremely impressive alternative.

41 Likes

I found this AutoHotkey script that seems to work so far (i->I is the only thing I tested). But a built-in, more sophisticated one, would be fantastic.

Autocorrect feature in MS Word
Please add this feature, this is very handy in defining shorthand for long words.

9 Likes

Please add this feature, it is much needed!

5 Likes

At the very least could we implement where Obsidian follows the system-level autocorrect engine, e.g. on macOS?

6 Likes

Here to show support for this feature request. I would love a much more intuitive auto corrector.

1 Like

Joining the chorus. Would be very useful for real-time, rapid note-taking.

2 Likes

Yup, I would like to have this feature, too.

3 Likes

Me too!

1 Like

If you guys need autocorrection, I suggest using the Language Tool plugin.

This is just an OK solution as it won’t automatically correct the spellings like the macOS system level autocorrect, or that of Microsoft Word. And it’s nowhere near “smart” tbh, although it’s better than nothing.

1 Like

I usually use word/ excel autocorrect list file(.acl, which would be saved on %AppData%\Microsoft\Office ) to log the correction by myself. If Obsidian can directly plug in this database it would be great :slight_smile:

I personally use the espanso for system-wide autocorrect, which might help in the meantime?

3 Likes

This resource is awesome. I use Espanso for the same thing system-wide. As an example, since I have an annoying tendency to hit the semicolon instead of the apostrophe, I have an ever-expanding replacement list that looks like this:

You’ve reminded me that I keep forgetting to add propagate_case: true to these. There goes the next couple of hours… :slight_smile:

edit: underscores, sheesh.

1 Like

The Language Tool plugin, while great, does not autocorrect as you type. (IF it does, someone please tell me how!)

4 Likes

I’m a newbie in Obsidian - how do we add these codes in to obsidian?

Already the native autocorrect and spellchecker used in macOS would be wonderful!

4 Likes

Same here. Would love to have some form of autocorrect.

2 Likes

I use the Typing Transformer plugin as a makeshift auto-correction tool.
I have tested it on 56000 lines worth of rules and it works fast. The plugin also works on mobile (where I think most people would still use their keyboard’s auto-correction features).
I write in a native language that uses many compound words (like German) and is agglutinative, so I need to put spaces before and after both my “BadWords” and “GoodWords”, but it is less of a problem in English.
I cannot recommend it enough.

I also have two vast dictionaries (English and my native-language one) that I use with the Various Complements plugin, which unfortunately doesn’t do auto-correction.
The two plugins should sort of be merged into one.

1 Like

Adding my vote. Spelling auto correct is a necessary, basic functionality, even though I realize it a significant coding project. I have to open EVERY sheet in iA Writer or TextEdit if I’m going to add more than a few words.

2 Likes