Auto-update links to headers on header title change

Obsidian currently supports two types of links: 1) To files 2) To headings inside the files. It also supports auto-updating all backlinks when the file name is changed. It would be great if it is also possible to update the backlinks that link to the headers when the header title is changed.

111 Likes

This is a planned feature. :slight_smile:

30 Likes

This is fundamental, like auto-update links to notes. I hope we won’t have to wait too long to get it implemented.

3 Likes

Just checked on v 0.8.4—not implemented yet.

1 Like

@mmo: see my question to @Silver here.

2 Likes

It seems that it is not implemented yet. It’s a core feature! I hope to see it implemented soon.

3 Likes

Can’t wait for a magic!

2 Likes

Just also noticed this fundamental issue and was wondering if it was mentioned, it was, back in May! Seems like they’ve noted it and hopefully will be fixed soon. I’m liking the post and replying in hopes to bring it back up to attention. :slight_smile:
Only thing I can do now is either manually check all references I made to the header I’m about to change or withhold using this feature. :frowning:

2 Likes

+1. Without this feature, all the heading links are fragile to the point where it’s impractical to use them in most cases

3 Likes

In other words, your headers change quite frequently.

1 Like

It’s not just headers, once you change the name of the file, all the header links to it are broken

1 Like

@bishop1860: I am not sure I understand because when one changes a file name all links to it are amended accordingly. So, are we talking about 2 different things?

Oh, you’re right. So the header autoupdate is actually only useful for renaming headers after all

@bishop1860: right. The devs have said that the automatic adjustment of links to header changes will, at some stage, be fixed.

1 Like

One solution/workaround is to use permanent block id together with editable/changing header.
Then the references do not need to be updated so such header can be edited in any application.
## experimental header 1 ^id1
The up-to-date header can be displayed in place of reference using either Obsidian style [![[#^id1]]](#^id1) or markdown style [![](#^id1)](#^id1) transclusion. (tested, both work in Obsidian 0.9.20)
This works best with Inline transclusion.
This does not transclude whole chapter but the header only.

Steps to reproduce

• create a note A with heading X
  • create a note B linking to A#X
  • change heading X in A to XXX

Expected result

• the link in note B should be updated to A#XXX just like when a note is renamed

Actual result

• nothing happens

Environment

• Operating system: Linux
  • Obsidian version: 0.6.5
  • Using custom CSS: no
9 Likes

oh, yes. There will be a ui-support to handle this case.

4 Likes

Steps to reproduce

• There are two demo files, Demo A and Demo B.
  • In Demo B, I creat a link to a specific header in Demo B.
  • Then a change the linked header in Demo B.
  • The link created in Demo A fails to access the linked header, only access to the Demo A file is available.
  • In conclusion, if a linked header in a file has made changes, the links to this hearder can not update automatically.

Expected result

The changes made in a specific header could be automatically updated for the related internal links, just as the internal links to file.

Actual result

In conclusion, if a linked header in a file has made changes, the links to this hearder can not update automatically.

Environment

• Operating system: Win10 1909
  • Obsidian version: v 0.7.6

Additional information

1 Like

Still broken in 0.9.17.
Also, broken similarly for transclusions ![[thing#heading]]

2 Likes

I believe this is still broken in 0.10.12

2 Likes