ASCIIDOC Support

+1 would love to see asiidoc support.

4 Likes

+1. Markdown fails at anything even slightly complicated, like code blocks in lists or complicated tables. Asciidoctor has thought of all of the complicated things authors might ever want to do and, unlike Markdown, is still very much being improved upon (there is even an Asciidoctor 3 working group). Meanwhile with Markdown you end up with 7 half-baked incompatible implementations.

5 Likes

+1 on asciidoc

1 Like

+1 on asciidoc

1 Like

+1 on Asciidoc,

And always is good to remember that the toolset for Asciidoc is mature and ready to support it as an alternative: Migrate from Markdown to Asciidoctor | Asciidoctor Docs

3 Likes

+1 for @asciidoc

Tables in plain markdown are dreadful

3 Likes

+1 for AsciiDoc support

1 Like

This Please!
+1

1 Like

Agreed - Asciidoc support please - and would pay more for it +1

3 Likes

+1 for Asciidoc, absolutely, and would put down hard cash for it.

Bonus if we could graph Asciidoc include directives and xref equivalents as well.

+1 please

I’m pretty sure that AsciiDoctor has done most of the legwork already with their CM6 plugin: GitHub - asciidoctor/codemirror-asciidoc: AsciiDoc mode for CodeMirror

Since Editor extensions - Developer Documentation says that “…an Obsidian editor extension is the same thing as a CodeMirror 6 extension”, this shouldn’t be too hard to convert to use with Obsidian…right? Speaking as somebody who has not created a plugin (yet).

1 Like

Hello, for the last few weekends I have been trying to make a proof of concept plugin for asciidoc.

There it is GitHub - dzruyk/obsidian-asciidoc: PoC obsidian asciidoc viewer/editor plugin

However as far as I understand, there are several API limitations to implementing full-fledged asciidoc support, namely:

• there is no way to register non-markdown files for global search
  • looks like there is no way to register cross-references from non-markdown files
2 Likes

Ah–good to know and thanks for sharing! It will be a most welcome plugin even without links functionality (and I see you recommending the omnisearch plugin to fill in the search gap–good call), since so few apps support AsciiDoc at all (despite the begging and pleading I see for it across feature request boards all over :sweat_smile:). Thank you for your work on this!

In any case, I agree that Markdown is just straight up bad.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Markdown’s limitations often force users to look for other tools in order to produce semantic text. It’s evident in the proliferation of platform-specific Markdown variants and the need of third-party libraries to create meaningful documents. Looking at the expanded feature set of Obsidian Flavored Markdown, I find myself wishing for investment in support for either alternative text languages (like AsciiDoc or reStructuredText) or better API support so plugin developers can build a Obsidian-esque UX that supports all the existing core entities. Looking at the additions to Obsidian Flavored Markdown:

• Mermaid diagrams

These additions underscore Markdown’s inherent problems in usability and functionality. I would love to see some discussion here that moves this forward.

2 Likes

Another +1 here.

Gotta say, this seems a really good idea. Maybe even creating a separate branch for this. The overlap is big enough to make this interesting and also, the benefits seem worth the effort.

It doesn’t matter how ubiquitous markdown is if we can start slowly providing support for AsciiDoc. AsciiDoc has almost the same syntax but it offers more core features.
It doesn’t help offering other tools, I believe we want the obsidian experience with the amazing plugins and UX. This is why we are asking in this forum and not migrating away.

I would argue that markdown is NOT ubiquitous. With every tool I use using a different version of markdown, I often find copy-pastes from one to another require much cleanup, and it’s a pita. I’ve moved to using asciidoc where possible, and oh my god, it’s a lifesaver. It does everything I need out of the box and copies directly pretty well. Even have converters that are great at mutating my asciidoc to md (though md doesn’t always support all the features). There are asciidoc plugins for a lot of the tools, and the ones that don’t have it tend to use 1 of 3 flavors of markdown, and I think I could convert to all easily on the fly, though honestly, I just use them less now, and the things in the asciidoc ecosystem more.

Unfortunately, Obsidian is quickly becoming the core of my system, and it’s stuck in the dark ages :expressionless:

Even if others feel that all the markdown flavors are similar enough that it is ubiquitous, asciidoc is similar enough to be just one more of those flavors but without the confusion of conflicting syntaxes, extra libraries, and the etc muddying the water when just trying to make a document. It’s basically a markdown flavor that’s so good it’s catching on and folks aren’t having to modify it to make it work for their application.

Adding on the option for Asciidoc as a second-rate citizen might be a big ask, but it’s got a growing fanbase, and it’s mature now. It’s time the industry started considering it more seriously.
Also… damn it would be amazing if something as big as Obsidian was to lead that charge…