As Obsidian is database, there is an need for quick navigation between links. I suggest to utilize already existing graph nodes.
- User will hover over any link in preview mode when holding CMD
- Instead of file preview, the nodes graph for relevant link is show (as new layer on top of the preview mode)
- When still holding CMD user can hover links inside
- When clicking on any link in node graph relevant note is opened
- When dropping CMD the graph node windows will disappear
With this user can travel with enormous speed between relevant information.
I like this idea a lot. The obvious counterargument is “Why not just use the local graph”? I think the answer is that we spend much more time in the text view than graph. Moreover, you could effectively get a 2 Depth local graph while only showing 1 depth, since hovering the link takes care of the first step. By seeing all the notes that the linked note links to, it might give you more context about what it contains than a text preview.
Stil, the text preview is quite useful. So, perhaps a different hotkey can be used for Graph vs Note preview - Ctrl and Alt?
The shortcut is explained in Step 1. When not holding, the normal preview should be shown instead - like usual.
If I’m not mistaken, you currently need to hold Ctrl to see the preview. I think this is preferable to having preview show on hover. Therefore, two different hotkeys would be needed to have these two different preview popups. Otherwise I like this.
Please read carefully:
- when holding CMD and hovering it should show the “new graph” feature
- (when not holding anything) and hovering it should show the preview - this is default thing! (why you are writing that you need to hold the key… just open obsidian and try)
It is the nature of new feature ticket to explain just new feature and not to explain default behavior. This feature should not replace old hover and preview, it should just add alternative view option. Hope it is clear now
I’m sorry @den, I may be misunderstanding your feature request in that case. It is possible to navigate the links of a node in the graph through the hover previews. Is that not what you meant?
- You will hover over any link in PREVIEW MODE when holding CMD
- Instead of
file preview, the “NODE GRAPH PREVIEW” for relevant link is show (as new layer on top of the preview mode)
I include also the image, which is quite self-explanatory. You see the preview window in in that bottom layer (blurred) and graph window is on the top. The link you hover in preview mode matching the starting node of the graph.
can you confirm is this what you mean?
When inside a note:
- Hover mouse over a [[link]] holding CMD
=> preview “local graph” of that [[link]] (as an option, in addition to page preview)?
or do you mean full graph with the local node highlighted?
Hover mouse over a [[link]] holding CMD
- preview “local graph” of that [[link]] as an option (in addition to page preview).
the graph is not shown in separated window
- graph is shown on top of the note preview (saving huge space and showing the graph only when necessary)
- when dropping CMD button the graph will disappear
Hoping it is now clear