A Typora-like editing mode (edit and preview at the same time)

I like writing raw markdown but it is often difficult to correct maths or viewing images switching editor-preview mode.
So I love this way: I think it’s a good trade-off between markdown and its preview. The inline preview works for images, math, embedded videos, todo lists and I think that it’s not as heavy as Typora-like mode.

IMHO that’s the way.

2 Likes

+1 for this.

Perhaps a better way of wording the request is “Support editing in preview mode” - because that’s really the difference.

To be clear, for those who haven’t used Typora:

Typora’s default view is almost exactly like Obsidian’s “preview” mode, except that it’s editable:

Typora’s “source code mode” (with visible markdown) is much like Obsidian’s “editing” mode.

9 Likes

I’ll just chime in to give this topic some emphasis aswell. For some applications, especially if they are a little bit more format heavy, the editor view is really painful and I’d so much more enjoy a Typora like interface…

3 Likes

I can see why many people would like that, and would just want to register, that for me, I would prefer to see the markup stuff like * etc. in the editor. Ideally the “typora-esque” editor would be a plugin, so I can keep everything as it is now.

3 Likes

+1 for me also having this as an option that I can switch on or off.

5 Likes

I think this would be super powerful. It might make editable transclusion a bit easier to implement, if’s handled by the WYSIWM layer from a UI perspective. On the other hand editable transclusion would be useful in the markdown IDE as well. Maybe a plugin that temporarily “compiles” the transcluded markdown, and just autosaves down periodically.

3 Likes

+1. It’s the only BIG weakness compare with Roam. Current Edit mode cannot make me concentrate on writing and thinking. Without this feature, the only advantage of Obsidian is Link/Backlink because users like me still have to use other editor such as Typora.

Hope dev team could move this feature from Long-Term to Short-Term.

2 Likes

Saying “the only advantage of Obsidian is Link/Backlink” is a bit of a strong, sweeping, generalised statement. Typora does not support transclusions, nor a graph view, nor wiki links, nor customisable css (yes, it has a choice of a small number of themes), nor a dynamic user forum, nor a very open, accessible dev team, nor a dev cycle such as the Obsidian one.

Perhaps you meant “for my use case”.

5 Likes

But there’s nothing to stop you using Typora as your usual editor in Obsidian. That’s one of the advantages of using files and folders rather than a database like Roam.

And that probably makes it less urgent than features where there’s no reasonable solution now.

5 Likes

For stuff from scratch, just write in Typora with files saved in vault. You can type links, even without autosuggest.

For edits, have Typora as default md editor and press the default editor button.
Or simply open that note from the Typora panel.

1 Like

You are right. it’s for my use case.

I don’t know what’s the meaning of ‘transclusions’.

Graph view, it is cool, but it currently does not give me too much help on my workflow.

Wiki links belongs to Link/Backlink, I love this feature.

CSS, Typora has some themes, and you can edit these css. I think it is customisable.

Typora does not have a open, accessile dev team. I agree, that’s why I comment in this forum and hope the dev team can hear me. but still, as a markdown editor, Typora is better than Obsidian. Another example, Ulysses, as an editor, is also better than Obsidian, And Ulysses does not have a very open, accessible dev team too. I mean, if a software can pefectly meet my requirements, I would be very happy even if it does not have a forum or an accessible team.

1 Like

Thanks, I know I can still use Typora as my default editor. But it is not a smooth workflow. For example, while I am writing a note in Typora, If I need to add a [[link]], I have to switch to Obsidian to do this. Another choice maybe finish the note in Typora, then open it with Obsidian to add links. All of this will distract my attention. I just whant to use only one editor during my note taking process.

If you remember the name of the notes you want to link, you can just type it in. Obsidian will recognise it when you open the note there.
If you don’t remember, all the notes can be read from the folder panel in Typora.

No need to switch while writing at all.

2 Likes

Thanks. This is currently the best solution.

1 Like

I know this request has been discussed here and in multiple other places, but I still want to add a +1 for it.

1 Like

Make sure you have clicked on the heart below the OP.

2 Likes

I wanted this feature too. I do not like having the preview pane open along with the edit pane.

But…just today, I came across this thread on the meta post and it works quite well. Not quite 100% but almost there!

https://forum.obsidian.md/t/meta-post-common-css-hacks/1978/58

Thanks @pihentagy!

1 Like

+1 for this!!!
Bear, a Mac app, is a tool that successfully coexists markdown and Inline Preview. >> https://bear.app/

In addition to the Inline decoration of the text, I think the display of images on Inline is very useful.
It makes the thinking during writing smoother.

6 Likes

When WYSIWYM is provided, please provide a switch to turn it off for persons who don’t like WYSIWYM like me.

10 Likes

+1

For me Bear model is more what I am looking for then typora, but both good. They key issue for me in obsidian is not being able to see images in edit mode. I dont like double pane edit/preview, and would live in edit mode if I had option to see images inline.

I would say this would be my top request for next 6 months.

Btw loving obsidian, great job !

8 Likes