A Typora-like editing mode (edit and preview at the same time)

Yes, for you it is, and it’s totally fine. I’m not arguing against that. I just work differently, and I have different needs, such as that reading is one of the last things I try to do while writing. This doesn’t make your user case better or worse; and by the same means, you can’t generalise yours.

As I wrote, I’m not against a “Typora-mode”, I just wouldn’t want it instead of a text based / preview mode.

5 Likes

I agree about your comments about Typora, I use it every day.
There is another, very good, little known markdown app: VNote. I also use it every day.

So, I now have 3 markdown apps I use, and would like to use Obsidian as a 1-stop shop.

WYSIWYM and ToC are the big ticket hurdles right now.

2 Likes

It does not need to be either-or. It can be and-and with a simple toggle, as it is in Typora.

4 Likes

There is no reason to delete Editor Mode, WYSIWYG is just the ability to edit directly in Preview Mode.

9 Likes

Correct. An editor mode needs to be available because one needs to be able to edit the raw markdown code.

5 Likes

If it’s possible to edit everything through Preview Mode I don’t see why anyone would need it, but ok …

2 Likes

There should be an Edit mode too because, as pointed out above, for some additions/amendments you need to get to the raw markdown, which you cannot do in Preview mode.

6 Likes

Are you talking about seeing the full link? You can simply paste the link without any code like I do (it looks ridiculous in Edit Mode, it just makes it harder to read) or if it is WYSIWYG you see only the name of the link and clicking or hovering over it you can see the complete link.

1 Like

I am fully aware of that, I use Typora every day.

I am talking about fixing e.g. empty lines, or indentations, or bullet points, etc.

4 Likes

+1 for this feature. Really happy to know it is on the long term roadmap for Obsidian, but for now I will be sticking to Typora as my primary markdown writing software. I’ve found having to toggle back and forth between preview and edit too much of a barrier to find Obsidian “delightful” for my casual PKM use case.

However, I agree split view should stay. I think it could be really important for use cases where the documents are more of a formal repository, esp if it is shared with others. In WYSIWYG editors it’s really easy to accidentally modify the document while browsing, especially with auto-save feature (this is why Google Docs, for example, is a terrible tool for building wikis for documentation IMO). Having an intentional toggle between edit and preview mode is really useful when your docs need to be more “controlled” with regards to whether you are only viewing or intend to make edits, if that makes sense.

But again, agree with everyone saying here - Typora’s UX is just so incredible and frictionless :drooling_face: Would be 100% happy with Obsidian taking UX ideas from Typora (I find Obsidian’s UX currently rather challenging and mentally labor intensive to work with)

10 Likes

This is definitely my #1 request. Splitting the screen between edit/preview mode wastes screen space and flipping back and forth is distracting. I’m not the type of person who feels fully engaged using the plain-text representation of markdown so both edit mode and preview mode play important roles. It would be lovely if one view could play both of those roles.

It looks like there’s an open-source electron project out there that the devs may be able to draw from to get this functionality without having to build out a whole new editor:

I wonder if there’s a core there that Obsidian could siphon and use to this end.

4 Likes

Abricotine’s UI in preview is still ugly, showing code. Typora’s UX is far superior.

If a WYSIWYG/WYSIWYM interface is to be built it might as well be one that is functional and pleasant to use.

3 Likes

I like writing raw markdown but it is often difficult to correct maths or viewing images switching editor-preview mode.
So I love this way: I think it’s a good trade-off between markdown and its preview. The inline preview works for images, math, embedded videos, todo lists and I think that it’s not as heavy as Typora-like mode.

IMHO that’s the way.

2 Likes

+1 for this.

Perhaps a better way of wording the request is “Support editing in preview mode” - because that’s really the difference.

To be clear, for those who haven’t used Typora:

Typora’s default view is almost exactly like Obsidian’s “preview” mode, except that it’s editable:

Typora’s “source code mode” (with visible markdown) is much like Obsidian’s “editing” mode.

9 Likes

I’ll just chime in to give this topic some emphasis aswell. For some applications, especially if they are a little bit more format heavy, the editor view is really painful and I’d so much more enjoy a Typora like interface…

3 Likes

I can see why many people would like that, and would just want to register, that for me, I would prefer to see the markup stuff like * etc. in the editor. Ideally the “typora-esque” editor would be a plugin, so I can keep everything as it is now.

3 Likes

+1 for me also having this as an option that I can switch on or off.

5 Likes

I think this would be super powerful. It might make editable transclusion a bit easier to implement, if’s handled by the WYSIWM layer from a UI perspective. On the other hand editable transclusion would be useful in the markdown IDE as well. Maybe a plugin that temporarily “compiles” the transcluded markdown, and just autosaves down periodically.

3 Likes

+1. It’s the only BIG weakness compare with Roam. Current Edit mode cannot make me concentrate on writing and thinking. Without this feature, the only advantage of Obsidian is Link/Backlink because users like me still have to use other editor such as Typora.

Hope dev team could move this feature from Long-Term to Short-Term.

2 Likes

Saying “the only advantage of Obsidian is Link/Backlink” is a bit of a strong, sweeping, generalised statement. Typora does not support transclusions, nor a graph view, nor wiki links, nor customisable css (yes, it has a choice of a small number of themes), nor a dynamic user forum, nor a very open, accessible dev team, nor a dev cycle such as the Obsidian one.

Perhaps you meant “for my use case”.

5 Likes