A Typora-like editing mode (edit and preview at the same time)

Enjoy Roam. And we’ll enjoy the obsidian mobile app.
Roam doesn’t have a typora mode, AI, or a mobile app so not sure what your point is other than rank trolling.

Oh… Joined 3 hours ago, no badge, “paid” for Obsidian. Sure Beau.

8 Likes

Can’t wait to see it.

You have to give some space and time to the developers of Obsidian. They don’t have a very big team. It’s still in beta and being updated consistently. In my opinion the fact that Obsidian has a solid free plan (which if it even changes, I will be willing to pay for) makes it a great software. Plus, the paid features are currently not so much that a person cannot even afford them. they are purely preferential. “Techie” people is not the right word to describe us, we are “Note Takers”, because in my opinion, no one in their right minds will pay so much for note taking as roam Charges. But, I mean there are exceptions. Still enjoy Roam if you are comfortable with that App.

3 Likes

@Daniyal-Ahmed: I agree with many of your points.
I just think they need to prioritize better. Ones they release a version that has a proper editor without the need of a preview, their user base will explode by 10x, probably more

@others
I would pay double the price of roam to have an app that supports my ADD brain with bi-directional linking. I finally can focus and take notes the way my brain works

1 Like

As a data point, I’m not a techie. I use Obsidian primarily for writing and note taking. I’m ok with using the editor mode and toggling to preview mode when needed.

I’m looking forward to combining editor and preview in a single mode, but not in a rush to get it. Mobile versions are more important to me. And I don’t like the way Typora implements the hybrid. Feh.

2 Likes

I agree with @MitchWagner - I despise those hybrid editors like Bear or Typora. I feel like I never quite know what’s “under the hood”. Obfuscation ugh. Much prefer explicit edit/preview, split pane if you need a live preview.

If one day Obsidian decides to implement a wysiwyg editor, I hope they at least have enough respect for us purists to make it optional.

4 Likes

They polled the user base on the question of whether mobile apps or Typora-like mode should come first. That poll said mobile apps first. They are prioritizing exactly as their users requested and the mobile apps are moving along incredibly fast. I have no doubt that when that stage is complete the editor will also come very fast. The fact that your personal preference isn’t prioritized doesn’t mean they didn’t handle it as the user based wanted.

10 Likes

I’m happy you’ve found something that works for you. But why come on here and troll when you already have something you like? “prioritize better”… “proper” editor … sure. That’s just, like, your opinion, man.

3 Likes

@luckman212 I have nothing against WYSIWIG editors as a general thing; I just don’t like Typora’s implementation. I liked the Bear editor when I used it. And I used Ulysses for writing for a couple of years.

I think I’d just like to see a way to see embeds in editor mode. Ideally as a toggle, because some embeds can be very big. The rest of WYSIWIG, I could do without.

And @pmbauer abides.

3 Likes

Like most things featuritis, there’s a bell curve of subjectivity in this topic; the age old pantser vs plotter dichotomy. There will forever be churn of pkm folks moving thru the pkm space in a random fashion. Threats here in these forums are just noise. Most of us here are long haul Obsidianites!

In early stage writing mindset, I want to write (edit mode) and maybe some basic revision and editing as I go (more edit mode). All of this is on the fly; quickly get the main ideas into content; the 80% if you will.

During later stage revisions and final drafting I go into a more focused and thoughtful reading (reader, audience) mindset. This is where I spend much time in preview mode, pondering how the missive will be received, and sometimes hopping into edit mode.

For me, I’m trying to get out of one size fits all; don’t need no wysiwyg. It’s just distracting, for me.

Am thinking it would take substantial effort to devise UI coding to offer a wysiwyg that satisfies everyone. I be very happy with the decision to pursue the mobile path before Typora like UI feature implementation; it is basic infrastructure to get fundamental cross platform technology in play. I have no doubt that what Licat and Silver do in this regard will be awesome.

Well, I can say that we need to hold the criticism until Obsidian comes out of beta, in a year or less.

1 Like

@Daniyal-Ahmed: @mrBj needs to understand that he does not set the priorities, something that has not seemed to have dawned on him.

3 Likes

If one cares about what’s under the hood, then you are a techie and not focusing on writing. Sad picture if the community has such preferences. That shows me that mostly geeks or techies whatever you want to call it are the majority of users right now.
If you writing a novel and need nothing but 1font obsidian is fine. But if you use images Headers and other stuff its not.

1 Like

crossing my fingers that obsidian eventually get’s their. But yeah, ones their is a proper WYSIWIG mode. None of you will use the editor anymore. Just wait for it.
And the userbase is gonna explode. Cause then the actual users (the middle of the bell-curve) coming in.

2 Likes

I’m done with the troll, folks. blocking

4 Likes

@pmbauer Seemed like a legitimate opinion to me. Bad moderating on your part.

1 Like

Jokes on you, I’m not a moderator :laughing:

1 Like

Folks this is going nowhere. We don’t have regrets that we picked mobile first. Once the mobile apps are shipped to the broader public and solid, the next big thing will be editor.

33 Likes

great :slight_smile:

FWIW, I agree with your priorities.

2 Likes