A Typora-like editing mode (edit and preview at the same time)

@MitchWagner: the devs’ priorities :wink:

2 Likes

Just keep in mind that there are people (like me) that prefer the “naked” source code look, so at least leave an option “Source code mode” or such.

I really wouldn’t like yet another WYSIWYNG (What You See is What You Never Get) editor. Most of my work is postprocessed (into LaTeX and/or epub) using Pandoc anyway, and “halfway-through” WYSIWYG won’t help me much. That would feel like another MS Word to me … and I’ve gone “barebones” (Markdown) for a reason.

It’s just too easy getting lured into all these visual niceties (and, yeah, Dataview and Maps as well). Then again … why not have best of both worlds …

4 Likes

@Moonbase59: Licat has explicitly stated that WYSIWYG is a 3rd mode alongside Edit and Preview. So, it is not as if the Edit mode will be lost.

5 Likes

Seems someone is thinking along my lines: Best of both worlds. Good to hear that, love it.

2 Likes

I become a Typora user after knowing Obsidian and for me this is a must feature.
I love typora implementation, but i need the obsidian relational process for notes.

Besides that, i think the tool will be much more friendly for commom users.

2 Likes

Compared with “Typora”, I also prefer the mode of “bear”. I hope obsidian can support it!

This is also the main reason why I don’t like the “Typora” mode.
“Typora” mode not only has the problem of text jumping, but also is not conducive to re-editing the format.
Therefore, I hope obsidian can consider the “bear” mode.

1 Like

@Fanshu: I have been using Typora for 3-4 years and have never experienced the text “hopping around”. That aside, Licat has said clearlt that the Typora mode will be a 3rd mode, i.e. in addition to Edit and Preview. So it is not as if you’ll eventually be “stuck” with Typora.

for now everyone can just use the wysiwyg snippet and edit that snippet to show some of the syntax that bothers you.

then install the image in editor plugin and also the in player control for time stamp plugin and you will have the closest thing possible right now for wysiwyg.

there are themes that show the bullet points and relationship lines already, you can grab those snippets as well

1 Like

Although you can accomplish wonderful things with Obsidian (with fantastic potentials) yet I miss workflow in the edit mode. :fountain_pen: My mind is constantly distracted by the way the syntax should be done, instead of being able to concentrate on procuring content! :chart_with_downwards_trend: :chart_with_downwards_trend: :chart_with_downwards_trend: This is not an ergonomic way of working (and as an ergonomist I attach great importance to this). Not only should your workstation be ergonomic but so should the software you use.

Since last week I have never heard of Markdown and Obsidian! Now I am forced by Obsidian to look into it. Really hard work! I do understand that it must be written in a specific computer language. But for people like myself who have always worked with WYSIWYG since Lotus (yes, quite a while ago) it is very difficult to make the switch. It reminds me of the time when you had a PC with a 20MB hard disk and with which you had to communicate in DOS! With a lot of effort, we got WYSIWYG. Now it’s back to the computer-middleages! (my opinion :innocent:)

Now my question: Can a plugin be created where one can enter in a WYSIWYG method in the edit-mode that then automatically makes the translation to Markdown.

Hey we are working with a technology that can handle just about anything, right? My humble opinion that this could give the use of Obsidian a big boost. :pray: :pray: :pray:

2 Likes

typora style editing is quite fluent, at least being an option for those who needs it, especially for those who uses many equations and latex symbols. you need to go into preview mode from editing mode to better understand the notes you writes. upvote for this feature!(at least for an option)

2 Likes

Is there any official news about this function?

1 Like

It has been on the roadmap in the long term column for many months. It was recently moved to the short-term category, however.

5 Likes

So when mobile ends, it’s Typora?
And the road map. Where can I see it?

@Fanshu : that is the exact question I asked Licat when he released Mobile. Although he said yes it did not sound totally convincing to me, maybe I am wrong and he did mean fully yes.

Hope to get online faster. I am looking forward to it!

1 Like

@Fanshu : yes, I am also hoping WYSIWYG will be implemented soon, I really love that feature from Typora.

2 Likes

I included it in my reply above.

2 Likes

This would be a great feature

1 Like