Zotero Integration – Import Templates?

Hi @apfelstrudelig,
I am trying to figure out how you got your alias to have the author to have the et al. Can you explain it? I tried copying and pasting but can’t get the author’s name in front of the et al.

thanks,

Yeah, at least a link to the GH or Share.Note page in a separate Share&Showcase. But probably you were waiting on two-way syncing…

/I had a question here but I figured it out./

1 Like

Yeah, true. I saw the question, seems like those were bare pdfs without metadata like authors and title? The script assumes you have those. Will add handling for savages :wink: Btw, I have a support thread under #academic-tools, if you’re in the Discord server.

Discord is closed/locked there.

I solved it with if (year !== null || undefined) { by adding null (my PDFs are mostly non-Academic and foreign so I didn’t scrape for metadata, hence the lack of ‘year’).

For some reason zotero://open-pdf/library/items/<ID>?page=<number> didn’t work…
But I guess your zotero://select/library/items/<ID> is better because if the reader wants to continue on that item where they left off, the page= mode would have overruled their ‘pseudo-bookmark’ on that book, so I went back to your version. Will tinker some more with it later this week. Cheers

1 Like

Right, I have to update the link in the guide. The thread move from #academia to #academic-tools.

Thanks for the details, I will look into it.

Great, let me know how it goes. Maybe I’ll have a Share & showcase thread by then.

1 Like

Hello there!
I’m trying to run this template but I couldn’t so far.
Any help would be really appreciated:

Unfortunately, I am unable to access the guide you advised. The following message is displayed:

The requested resource is currently locked. The lock must be released or proper identification given before the method can be applied.

Sorry in advance if it is my error, I am fairly new to Obsidian.md

It seems like the domain is down or something. Here’s an archive link from wayback-machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20240217125830/https://nataliekraneiss.com/your-academic-reading-list-in-obsidian/

1 Like

Hi. I have the same issue with the grey boxes but your solution sadly didn’t work for me. Everything’s still grey.

My template:

---
title: "{{title}}"
authors: "{{authors}}"
year: "{{date | format("YYYY")}}"
journal: "{{publicationTitle}}"
DOI: "{{DOI}}"
---
{{pdfZoteroLink}}

> [!abstract]-
> {{abstractNote}}

## Annotations
{% macro calloutHeader(color) -%}
{%- if color == "#a28ae5" -%}
RQ & Findings - Purple
{%- endif -%}
{%- if color == "#2ea8e5" -%}
Definition - Blue
{%- endif -%}
{%- if color == "#e56eee" -%}
Research method - Magenta
{%- endif -%}
{%- if color == "#5fb236" -%}
Quote - Green
{%- endif -%}
{%- if color == "#ff6666" -%}
Information - Red
{%- endif -%}
{%- if color == "#ffd400" -%}
Previous Research - Yellow
{%- endif -%}
{%- if color == "#aaaaaa" -%}
Examples - Grey
{%- endif -%}
{%- if color == "#f19837" -%}
Future Research - Orange
{%- endif -%}
{%- endmacro -%}

{% persist "annotations" %}
{% set annotations = annotations | filterby("date", "dateafter", lastImportDate) -%}
{% if annotations.length > 0 %}
#### Imported on {{importDate | format("YYYY-MM-DD h:mm a")}}

{%- for annotation in annotations %}

> [!quote{% if annotation.color %}|{{annotation.color}}{% endif %}] {{calloutHeader(annotation.color)}}
{%- if annotation.imageRelativePath %}
> ![[{{annotation.imageRelativePath}}]]
{%- endif %}
{%- if annotation.annotatedText %}
>{{annotation.annotatedText}} [(p. {{annotation.pageLabel}})](zotero://open-pdf/library/items/{{annotation.attachment.itemKey}}?page={{annotation.pageLabel}}&annotation={{annotation.id}}){%- endif %}
{%- if annotation.comment %}
>
>> {{annotation.comment | nl2br}}{%- endif %}  

{% endfor -%}
{% endif %}
{% endpersist %}

CSS snippet:

/* Original Zotero Highlight Colours */
/*
 "#2ea8e5": "blue",
 "#5fb236": "green",
 "#a28ae5": "purple",
 "#ffd400": "yellow",
 "#ff6666": "red",
 "#f19837": "orange",
 "#e56eee": "magenta",
 "#aaaaaa": "grey"
*/

/*
  Info:
  You may uncomment the first line with .literature-note for each colour 
  if you want the CSS to only be a applied if a note has the
  `cssclass: literature-note` in its frontmatter
*/

/* Yellow */
/* .literature-note  */
.callout[data-callout-metadata="yellow"] {
  --callout-color: 255, 212, 0 !important;
}

/* Red */
/* .literature-note  */
.callout[data-callout-metadata="red"] {
  --callout-color: 255, 102, 102 !important;
}

/* Orange */
/* .literature-note  */
.callout[data-callout-metadata="orange"] {
  --callout-color: 241, 152, 55 !important;
}

/* Green */
/* .literature-note  */
.callout[data-callout-metadata="green"] {
  --callout-color: 95, 178, 54 !important;
}

/* Blue */
/* .literature-note  */
.callout[data-callout-metadata="blue"] {
  --callout-color: 46, 168, 229 !important;
}

/* Magenta */
/* .literature-note  */
.callout[data-callout-metadata="magenta"] {
  --callout-color: 229, 110, 238 !important;
}

/* Pink */
/* .literature-note  */
.callout[data-callout-metadata="pink"] {
  --callout-color: 229, 110, 238 !important;
}

/* Purple */
/* .literature-note  */
.callout[data-callout-metadata="purple"] {
  --callout-color: 162, 138, 229 !important;
}

/* Grey */
/* .literature-note  */
.callout[data-callout-metadata="grey"] {
  --callout-color: 170, 170, 170 !important;
}

What am I doing wrong? :sweat_smile:

What’s wrong is that your template inserts annotation.color into the callout headers, but the CSS snippet targets annotation.colorLabel.

Not sure if that simple change will suffice, because you are missing a whole lot from the original template that the CSS snippet is for.

Hello everyone,
thanks for all the former contributions. Much appreciated!
I have a question on how to adjust the template for my purposes. Iam currently using the template from @jujumartini.
Great template, but unfortunately it is not possible to persist notes taken between the annotations. The solution of @jujumartini was to create an extra note section above the annotation section.
I already tried to add persist and endpersist, but when I reimport all annotations are imported and I have two chunks of annotations without being able to identify new annotations in such a mess.
Does anyone have an idea on how new annotations can be added to the preexisting subchapter without manual notes being deleted?

Hi Everyone,

@Feralflora I was wondering if there was a list of (forgive me I don’t know the technical name) “keywords” such as citekey, authors, title, abstractnote etc. I’m currently trying to find a way to import a paper’s bibliography alongside any notes I might have. Do let me know if you know anything or can point me in the right direction.

Hi @Jagarosuki, this thread is for showcasing ZI templates, not general questions, which should go into their own help posts (which I can see you’ve already done as well). Questions are adding too much noise to this thread, compared to the sharing of templates.

If someone doesn’t answer you in your post first, you’ll find the answer in this thread, if you go back a bit.

Yes, that’s what I’ve done in the latest and greatest version of my template. It’s linked near the top in the message you replied to :wink:

(btw, looks like you were missing an % before the edit, but I supposed you figured that out)

1 Like

Thank you, I am checking it out as we speak! Is there a simple way to remove the symbol that is injected at the beginning of the bulleted key points? Excited to get started with this template for my lit review, tysm!

Not if you want to have this in my template:

Because the symbol is for annotation styling, using the List callouts plugin. It’s also explained in the original message, where I walk through all the features of the template.

You’re welcome, good luck! :blush:

1 Like

Ah, thank you for explaining that, and for your time. I appreciate it.

1 Like

Your template is amazing.

I have a question about how to call the metadata into Dataview. I thought Status:: in the template can be pulled? Any advice? I’m trying to pull your template for literature review notes based on a tag, and would like to be able to view the Status and Connections in the processing section of the template.

I hope this scope of question is alright on this thread.

Thanks for your time and support, Feralflora.

@bam24 I can’t say that I’ve read through this entire topic ( :sweat_smile: ) or the back-and-forth, but for alterations, incorporating Dataview, etc., I’d open a new help topic.

No need to tag anyone, just a “I’m using X template from [link], and I’d like to alter it with Y using Z plugins” (or whatever works best for the situation). That should be good.

Thanks.

Thanks, I’m glad you like it! However, since your question is not really about my template, but rather a general Dataview question, I will second what @ariehen said above :slight_smile: Make sure to mention what your issue actually is, because you didn’t do that above.