Writing first in Daily Note, and then transferring to the specific page - Workflow

This is one of two related questions I’m asking about your workflow best practices.

As I understand it, a recommended way of entering info/data is to write it down in the Daily Note, in order to get your idea down quickly, and not having to think about where/what page, it actually needs to be written on.

While I love the idea, I don’t get how that works in practice. Hoping you can give me guidance.

I’m using the example of making notes around video production. Say I have a whole bunch of pages on the subject. I get some new info that I need to bring into Obsidian. So I write it straight down on today’s Daily Note.

Once I’ve got it all down, I can then think about where it actually belongs. Maybe it belongs over a couple of already existing pages, or needs a brand new note.

Do I copy and paste, block embed or block reference?

What procedure do you have for getting it in to where it actually belongs?

Note: I don’t use Dataview
Looking forward to hearing about your workflow!
Linking new notes with already existing notes - workflow - Help - Obsidian Forum

Because you’re using the daily note as a temporary place to write, I would copy (or cut) and paste. If you embed the text from the daily note into the note where you actually want it, the text’s “real home” won’t be where you want it. In practical terms, search will only see the text in your daily notes, not in the embeds.

If you don’t want to keep a copy of the text in your daily note, I think the easiest thing to do is use the Note Composer core plugin that’s included with Obsidian. Select the text, open the context menu, choose “Extract selection”, then choose the note you want to send it to. There’s also the Note Refactor community plugin which expands on the idea.

2 Likes

@CawlinTeffid
Thanks for the response Cawlin

I didn’t understand what Note Composer is for, cheers for the pointer.

I did a quick test. In the Options panel, you can choose what to do with the ‘Text after extraction’

There are three choices, 1. ‘Link to new file’, 2. ‘Embed new file’, and 3. ‘None’
The first leaves a link in place of the text, and the text is placed in the target note. The second places a copy of the entire target note in the original note, including as you make amendments to the target note, that all gets carried over to the source note. And the third option completely removes the text from the source note, and places it in the target note

I like that it’s a Core Plugin too. Had a quick check at Note Refactor, and it’s too much for me. Note composer should be exactly what I need, brilliant thanks :smile:

I think to start with, I’ll write my entries in the Daily Note, and as I move it to the target note using the first option, I’ll add some text to keep the context. Perfect solution!

Hey Cawlin, do you have a similar workflow or something totally different?

Edit: I see the Template function is useful, I’m gonna try #### {{fromTitle}} so the source note is identified as a header. Many thanks Cawlin!

Edit: I added double brackets to the outside of the template, and now it’s also a link #### [[{{fromTitle}}]]

I use the Note Refactor plugin which will create a new note using the header of the selected content to create the new note. You can even split the entire note into many based on headings.

1 Like

This is a bit beyond my current usage but it helps me understand what the plugin does.

@egauthier, when you say using the header of the selected content, what does that mean please? What is the header? Oh, I know, right so whatever text I’ve highlighted, if that text has a Header (which it might not?) then that gets carried over as well?

Note Refactor can create new notes from all the H1 headers in your current note for example.

It may be best to check out the help/github here:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.