With more and more attachment, Each start consumes a high cpu

If the file is uploaded and I want to be able to reply if I can reproduce it, should I not place the attachment in obsidian, lest it will gradually crash and become unusable for a long time?

3w PNGS did not appear, because of upload size limitations, I can only give so many PNGS

I tried with 25k images I don’t see anything too anomalous. It is normal for obsidian to have a spike of cpu (and disk use) for a few second after startup because obsidian checks what files are present and if any files were modified (to update its internal index).

So as the number of files increases, the cpu spikes get longer and longer, eventually to the point where obsidian needs a lot of checking every time it opens

Also a large number of file management, the same order of magnitude of 2w files, such as eagle software does not cause cpu spikes for a long time after opening.

Eagle doesn’t manage links among the files, we do.
Use whichever software suits your needs best.

I am gonna move this conversation to the help section.

Isn’t this the right way? obsidian, as a long-term note, cannot handle the huge number of attachments well. The number of attachments is bound to increase with the increase of records

If more and more attachments can not be borne by obsidian, we should not let everyone keep placing attachments in obsidian, and control the number of attachments. Rather than letting everyone keep putting in attachments, and then waiting until the point of finally getting out of control

How does the official of obsidian consider this? Should we put the attachments into other management software, and then link into obsidian and the pictures embedded with local pictures or network addresses, instead of putting the pictures into obsidian?

Another test was carried out, as shown in the figure

For a fully png library, after obsidian is opened, cpu10% is used for up to 2 minutes
However, the backup of the library with KopiaUI takes only 0.2s
Also judging file changes, why is backup software so much faster
These are png files, and there should be no links to manage

Or I don’t quite understand it, but in my opinion, this is a BUG with no optimization
I don’t know if I’m right

This seems like something that can’t be improved in the short term, would using a graphic bed and placing the images externally improve this?

Is the solution. But the problem is that officials consider this a normal situation. In addition, most people do not know that the huge number of attachments will make obsidian occupy more and more cpu, and when they know, it is difficult to put these pictures in the local folder outside obsidian and then paste them into obsidian in an absolute position.

With 25K images, it’s 10 seconds on my computer (8750H with ssd). Note that currently only one thread is utilized and there is some disk activity (not extreme) for that period of time too. So I would not call this high usage.

Free free to use something else if obsidian doesn’t suit your particular needs.

My computer
Core i9-9900 CPU @ 3.10GHz
SAMSUNG MZVLB512HBJQ-000L7
I tried to move obsidian’s library to my ssd
My test library, which had nothing but 8k png, still had a 10%cpu usage for up to two minutes each time it was opened

It is not clear if this problem is just me, if it is true that 25k takes only 10 seconds as you say, the problem does not seem that big
However, if this is not a problem that I can reproduce alone, I hope that the authorities can face it squarely, instead of letting users find other software to use
Hope is to try to solve the problem, not to solve the person who asked the problem
I’m not here to argue, but as a user of obsidian who wants it to be better
In the short reply, I have received official reply twice, asking me to use other software
I don’t know what I did wrong by asking questions
I raised questions, made test samples, collected test data, and spent time in order to let more obsidian users realize that this may be a problem, and let the official know that their users may encounter such a problem. And see if we can work it out together.
But here’s what I got: You go. And twice
It is true that we are using obsidian for free, but this is not obsidian can arrogate and tell us that you are free people, free people are also contributing to obsidian, I found bugs for a lot of plug-ins, shared free css for others, They both have the potential to create real value for obsidian, and may also become commercial use software for studios when obsidian is really able to fully meet the needs.

Free, but that’s no reason to be cocky.

Finally, I love working with obsidian, which is why I take the time to bring up bugs, not out of any malicious intent

I come with good intentions, and I don’t want to leave with the bad intentions of others

I hope this problem is just me, someone else has seen this post and can help me test it if possible.
Both computers in my home have been tested with related issues, so I think it is a BUG while bringing it up
If you also have questions, I will write down my solution for the convenience of people who have the same problem as me

It is convenient for users who do not want to put pictures on the network, but can directly paste files to obsidian users quickly
Use My - Easy - Pic - Bed build local map Bed
Then upload all PNGS to the local map bed using obsidian-image-auto-upload-plugin.
In this way, even if you replace the computer, as long as obsidian and My-Easy-Pic-Bed are copied, you can use it normally on another device, without relying on network storage

I see the same problem, when I gradually move my Joplin notes to Obsidian.

When I finished moving, and there are 10,391 files, 1311 folders, in my vault.

and this cause big problems in Obsidian Android, it crash suddenly and cause a series of problems, the major problem is:

• some of the changes to a note cannot be synchronized (I use the plugin “Remotely save” to sync to Storj S3-compatible storage, it has no such problem when the number of attachments and notes are low)

• newly added notes may not be in sync

1 Like

I’m not the only one who met them. I found them in the forums

1 Like

What about let Obsidian just startup, and do the indexing after startup?

This seems a way to improve the user experience for the case with tens of thousands of files in the vault. Because no one needs all the files instantly after startup, if obsidian needs more time indexing more files, why not let the indexing happens after we have started it?

I have more than 40k files in my vault currently, and 37k are images. I did economic analysis with obsidian and like the easiness with ![[Imange file name]] to quote the trend pic I need. This helps alot. But everytime Obsidian startup takes more than 2 minutes, maybe it spends the time indexing the image file names? But why it is the same everytime it startup? Why not let it just startup, and do the indexing after startup?

It’s what already happens

Both the one time indexing and high cpu use lamented in this thread happen after startup.

You have another problem.

Slightly on/off topic, I’m a bit frustrated that obsidian takes so long to open.

With around 1k notes and loads of images, it takes 10-15 secs to open on my faster pc, and over 30 secs on my older one :face_exhaling:

@Smithy Turn Restricted mode on, and restart obsidian, how long does it take?

Where is you vault stored? (Do you use icloud or similar services?)

How many files total are we talking about?

@WhiteNoise thanks for your suggestion. I’ve just converted my older Win10 laptop into a Linux machine. Newbie so it took me a while to get it all up and running.

Funny thing is, I just timed it and it now takes 8 seconds. Hmm. I turned on Restricted Mode and it took 4 seconds.

It’s on Dropbox via Cryptomator, and with about 1k notes.

Anyhow, it’s MUCH faster on Fedora Linux obviously so I’m happy with that.

1 Like