With more and more attachment, Each start consumes a high cpu

I hope this problem is just me, someone else has seen this post and can help me test it if possible.
Both computers in my home have been tested with related issues, so I think it is a BUG while bringing it up
If you also have questions, I will write down my solution for the convenience of people who have the same problem as me

It is convenient for users who do not want to put pictures on the network, but can directly paste files to obsidian users quickly
Use My - Easy - Pic - Bed build local map Bed
Then upload all PNGS to the local map bed using obsidian-image-auto-upload-plugin.
In this way, even if you replace the computer, as long as obsidian and My-Easy-Pic-Bed are copied, you can use it normally on another device, without relying on network storage

I see the same problem, when I gradually move my Joplin notes to Obsidian.

When I finished moving, and there are 10,391 files, 1311 folders, in my vault.

and this cause big problems in Obsidian Android, it crash suddenly and cause a series of problems, the major problem is:

• some of the changes to a note cannot be synchronized (I use the plugin ā€œRemotely saveā€ to sync to Storj S3-compatible storage, it has no such problem when the number of attachments and notes are low)

• newly added notes may not be in sync

1 Like

Iā€™m not the only one who met them. I found them in the forums

1 Like

What about let Obsidian just startup, and do the indexing after startup?

This seems a way to improve the user experience for the case with tens of thousands of files in the vault. Because no one needs all the files instantly after startup, if obsidian needs more time indexing more files, why not let the indexing happens after we have started it?

I have more than 40k files in my vault currently, and 37k are images. I did economic analysis with obsidian and like the easiness with ![[Imange file name]] to quote the trend pic I need. This helps alot. But everytime Obsidian startup takes more than 2 minutes, maybe it spends the time indexing the image file names? But why it is the same everytime it startup? Why not let it just startup, and do the indexing after startup?

Itā€™s what already happens

Both the one time indexing and high cpu use lamented in this thread happen after startup.

You have another problem.

Slightly on/off topic, Iā€™m a bit frustrated that obsidian takes so long to open.

With around 1k notes and loads of images, it takes 10-15 secs to open on my faster pc, and over 30 secs on my older one :face_exhaling:

@Smithy Turn Restricted mode on, and restart obsidian, how long does it take?

Where is you vault stored? (Do you use icloud or similar services?)

How many files total are we talking about?

@WhiteNoise thanks for your suggestion. Iā€™ve just converted my older Win10 laptop into a Linux machine. Newbie so it took me a while to get it all up and running.

Funny thing is, I just timed it and it now takes 8 seconds. Hmm. I turned on Restricted Mode and it took 4 seconds.

Itā€™s on Dropbox via Cryptomator, and with about 1k notes.

Anyhow, itā€™s MUCH faster on Fedora Linux obviously so Iā€™m happy with that.

1 Like

Hi yall, first post here.

ditto and this high cpu usage

im a ā€œnoobā€ to obsidian. (and markdown) been trying to figure it out for about a week or so.
trying get myself out of MS OneNote,

obsidian seems great on paperā€¦ buutttā€¦ lets save 4 different web clippers not working for another day.

thou, this is not okayā€¦

i recently exported my onenote lib of ~2850 .md files, ~37,300 files total with the images that came with it.

it takes obsidian about 2 - 3 minutes to launch.

i can load steam and video game
and\or
reboot my entire system (will all these extras on start up) faster than i can open obsidian. let alone leave it running.

also seems be stuck indexing the last ~300 files for two day. or it cant index them and wont skip them.

ive turned off

• indexing
  • ocr
  • omniserch.
  • sandboxed vault
  • disabled/restricted all plugins
  • disabled themes
  • a couple other tweak i saw in this forum
  • even tried poking around in the dev console looking for the memory leak, but that a bit over my head, found this a couple other minor errors

and nothing seem to make a difference on the performance hit Iā€™m taking. it might drop obsidian cpu leak by 2%

my desktop isnā€™t a rocket ship but its fairly powerful with and i7 6700 and 64g ram.

a text editor shouldnā€™t impact it this much.

from a few post i found this seems to be a common know issuse.

which i unfortunate because its not usable like this.

soo i donā€™t knowā€¦

is there a way to move images outside of the vault and still link them locally?

some more debug infoā€¦

SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v1.5.12
	Installer version: v1.5.12
	Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19045
	Login status: not logged in
	Insider build toggle: off
	Live preview: on
	Base theme: dark
	Community theme: MagicUser v19.7.0
	Snippets enabled: 0
	Restricted mode: off