Why does bullet point indentation look different inside a callout and page embeds, vs directly on a page?

Like, when I put bullet points or tasks in a callout or page embed, as well, , they’re all indented by 1 with the gray lines not indented, so they’re to the left.

Here’s a photo for reference:

And the page markdown:

Right on the page:
- [ ] Check box
	- [x] Sub checkbox complete
	- Sub bullet point
		- 2nd level bullet point
- [-] Cancelled checkbox

> [!NOTE] Inside a Callout
> - [ ] Check box
> 	- [x] Sub checkbox complete
> 	- Sub bullet point
> 		- 2nd level bullet point
> - [-] Cancelled checkbox

Page embed:
![[Bullet Point Bug 2]]

So I’ve expanded on your example by replacing each tab with a double space, but in any case, I do get the expected output, so it’s most likely just a matter of having the correct combination of whitespace in front of you bullet points.

This can however be tricky, which can be seen/experienced when adding code blocks into sub levels of lists, but I’ve found that using the command Toggle blockquote on a pre-selected text is usually a good way to keep the same formatting if you want to insert something into a callout.

My test text
## Using tabs

Right on the page using tabs:
- [ ] Check box
	- Sub bullet point
		- 2nd level bullet point
- [-] Cancelled checkbox

> [!info] In a callout using tabs:
>- [ ] Check box
>	- [x] Sub checkbox complete
>	- Sub bullet point
>		- 2nd level bullet point
>- [-] Cancelled checkbox

## Using spaces

Right on the page using spaces:
- [ ] Check box
  - Sub bullet point
    - 2nd level bullet point
- [-] Cancelled checkbox

> [!info] Using two spaces in a callout
> - [ ] Check box
>   - [x] Sub checkbox complete
>   - Sub bullet point
>     - 2nd level bullet point
> - [-] Cancelled checkbox

Which resulted in:

1 Like

That’s an interesting solution, though I’ll stick to custom CSS for fixing the way callouts and embeds handle this.

So you’re using custom CSS to fix something caused by misplaced whitespace characters? I don’t have that custom CSS and the lines are placed correctly…

The thing is I’d want to be able to have bullet points in tabs in callouts and page embeds and without that weird spacing and formatting.

I’m not going to persue this anymore, but I literally took your text and executed the Toggle blockquote, and it’s correctly formatted, so I don’t understand the weird formatting.

It’s just default formatting with an angular bracket in front. Sorry, yet again, if I’m totally missing the point.

Well, I took my text with tabs and ran the toggle blockquote command on it and then insert > [!NOTE] Inside a Callout and got the weird indentation thing. I also ran the insert callout command on the text and got the same thing. I’m say that I’d rather format sub bullet points and sub checkboxes with tabs rather than spaces, I find that more convenient.

@holroy What do you think?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.