Web Clipper/Highlighter and Kindle highlights/notes extraction Extension

@Dominik yes I need to make a Obsidian DEMO video soon… its on my list. The Obsidian settings are based off the request of many Obsidian folks who don’t want the bullets/indents that I use for Roam. So I made those settings/options. But you can and should customize all the settings to your liking, which is sounds like you have done! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am not able to turn off links. I was capturing annotations off a medium article. The plugin lifts links from words, even though I don’t need it to

Hey all,

I hope you have been enjoying the Highlighter! Chrome finally opened up Reviews for their extensions again. If you wouldn’t mind I would love for you to leave a rating and feedback in the Chrome store!

Thanks!

1 Like

Commented on it!!Great job dude!

1 Like

Based on this post, I added the Roam-highligher Chrome extension yesterday. IT IS AWESOME! And the fact that it captures Amazon Kindle notes and highlights is wonderful. I want to say thank you! to the developer. Thanks to this tool, I spent the afternoon capturing all of the highlights and notes from hundreds of my Kindle books and now, for the first time, have them all available for searching, reviewing, adding to, and referencing with the title, author, link automatically captured by the extension. Really, @smurfman111 - thank you very much! --p.s. I left a review in the Chrome Store.

4 Likes

Just downloaded and started using - this is great, hank you so much!

On the Kindle side, I like that the option exists. Do you think you’ll be working on something starting from document clippings? The Kindle highlights page seems like it only works on books we bought on Amazon, not on our personal documents.

Making a separate thread about Kindle clippings here: Kindle highlights to markdown

1 Like

I love the app! It’s the best clipper I’ve tried so far.

I just wanted to make a suggestion: in order for this to work more seamlessly with Obsidian, the extension’s clipboard should convert html header tags into markdown syntax when using the Obsidian preset. Right now, it is copying headers as <h1>Header</h1>, but Obsidian works better when you use the markdown syntax, which is # Header 1. That way, the title will render in both edit and preview mode. I left a feature request in GitHub with screenshots and more details.

I’ve never used Roam, but I’m guessing there’s a reason to use the html syntax there. I just hope you can include this html-to-markdown conversion for Obsidian without messing with the default Roam mode. Thanks a lot in advance!

3 Likes

I am trying to use the addon in Firefox, but no luck so far. When opening the xpi in FF, I get an error message that it can’t install because the file seems damaged.
Any tips?
Thanks!

Drop Firefox, it’s on the way out anyway. Mozilla is firing yet more people.

Yes, very sad news. Now, while we look for an alternative to Google and Microsoft browsers, I’m sure @d_or2000 and other users will be happy to have an actual answer to the question.

There is no real Microsoft browser: Edge is based on Chromium.

As an alternative to Firefox (originally privacy-focused) I suggest either Ungoogled Chromium, which I use, or Brave, which is also Chromium-based with the Google connect/telemetry taken out too. Both are excellent for privacy.

1 Like

I had the same experience, but thought to check at the FF Add-Ons page. The Roam Highlighter is available as an extension on that page, and I successfully installed it.

1 Like

Is there Roam-Highlighter for Safari?
Can roam-Highlighter be installed in the iOS version of Chrome?

Extensions generally don’t work in the mobile browser, so I don’t think this will be supported. And Safari extensions story is sad. Hopefully with Big Sur improvements, more developers will develop extensions for Safari, but currently you won’t find any Obisidian related extension for safari.

2 Likes

@smurfman111
I’m finding your Roam-highlighter tool really excellent for my workflow in Obsidian. One request:
In the settings it is possible to set a custom bullet style. Could we please have a custom bullet style (or front matter) for the title? What I’d like is for the title to be in a checkmark (- [ ]) and the highlights to be regular bullets (-). Thanks for considering this.

Very useful, thank you! Is it correct that you can only choose one header at a time?

[edit]: Actually, it seems like when I select something and choose ALT + A it will always go back and choose the title of the article instead of what I selected… I may be doing something wrong, I’m not sure.

The Roam-Highlighter is brilliant, but I’ve been consciously trying to de-Google myself of late. Are there any approaches recommended for the Safari browser on macOS?

– Robert

You can try Brave or Vivaldi as privacy aware browsers. Still Chromium but not Google otherwise.

There was another thread where there was a request for death.au to make a Safari version of his downloader.

Wow everyone! I am so sorry! Somehow I stopped getting notifications for new posts here! I found some time to make some updates to my highlighter this week (first time in several months). Should be updated in next few days.

I will try and go through and answer all the posts I missed this weekend!

Edit: figured out why I never got notified!!