Visible breadcrumbs or folder path for active note

It would be useful to see the folder path or breadcrumbs for the currently active note. Is there a way to do this? I haven’t found it in the help docs, this forum or the Discord. (I did see it vaguely mentioned once in the Discord.)

I currently have all new notes created in a NEW folder, but every once in awhile I find myself working on a note and I’m like, “Wait, I can’t find this freaking thing. It’s not in the right folder.” I open a few folders, and it’s annoying trying to scroll through to determine whether the note is in that specific folder or not, before moving on and scrolling through the next folder, before… (etc).

My current system makes it pretty clearcut and unambiguous regarding which notes should be in which folders, so right now the real issue is only when a note ends up in what is unambiguously the wrong folder. But, that being said, I wouldn’t mind adding a few more sub-topic folders that could create scenarios where a single note could logically end up in one of several sub-folders. Right now, without breadcrumbs, I’m avoiding doing this, since it’s a pain to identify where a note actually is. (But I do think there are metacognitive advantages to organizing things hierarchically in the folder structure in addition to non-linearly with links. Doing so forces you to organize your own thinking and understand how you yourself are categorizing different topics.)

A related idea would be, in the file explorer, highlighting the folders in which the currently active note appears, right up to the top level. Right now the note title is slightly highlighted if the folder it’s in is already expanded, but if that folder is collapsed, there’s no indication of where the note is.

See also:

10 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Allow show folder path in title