Typewriter Mode (Hemingway Mode) – don't allow editing as you write

Hey forum,

I’m now using Atom and a few plugins to achieve a “Hemingway Mode”.

You can only add text and only at the end. A typewriter experience. You cannot select text. You cannot move the cursor. And you cannot backspace/delete.

To force you to write. It’s for the editing addicted like myself.

How great would it be if someone can pull off a plugin like that. One click Hemingway mode.

5 Likes

Would be brilliant for free-writing or ‘1 K words a day’ style notes.

1 Like

Partway there:

Dangerzone (FlowState-like plugin prototype)

Definitely going to give that a try. Thank you!

I have a knee jerking reaction to “timers”. But, this does sound like a good challenge.

EDIT: I have just wrote a rough draft of about 200 words in 60 seconds. This is great Ryan!

1 Like

That is what I thought!

Dangerzone really isn’t a substitute for a Hemingway Mode plugin. That latter prevents backspacing, deleting, and editing during a timed period of writing, but it doesn’t wipe everything you’ve written if you pause the way Dangerzone does. I sometimes use The Most Dangerous Writing App, a free web app similar to Dangerzone, to warm up, but I wouldn’t want that capability installed in Obsidian for use in my vault. I’d definitely install and use a Hemingway Mode plugin, however.

Almost two years later, here it is:

I’m waiting for it to be accepted as an official community plugin (PR is pending review), but you can check it through my repo.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Available now as a community plugin named Hemingway Mode.

1 Like

Congratulations! The Digital Paper plugin has the same basic functionality, though the features and details may differ. I always thought it was strange that it doesn’t use the more common term Hemingway Mode.