Triple clicking sentence in a list in WYSIWYG only to grab text and list item marker

Currently when you’re in Live Preview mode, a triple click selects the entire line and if bolding that line, or some other format change, the list item marker also gets the format and breaks the WYSIWYG mode:

• Example:

• In applying a format the list item marker also gets the format and breaks the WYSIWYG mode:

• Issue within an entire list

• It gets particularly bad with checklists:

What I’m looking for is a triple click to select only the contents of the sentence and not the list item marker (and while in source mode the triple click would select the entire line). In other markdown editors that have a similar WYSIWYG mode (Typora, Marktext), this is standard behavior. Obsidian is really nice with it’s community plugins, command pallette, graph view, etc. and this is the only blocker for me to switch to this tool.

This feature request is linked to Double clicking sentence in a list grabs entire line including list item marker where I was told to file a feature request

3 Likes

This affects me too. Current behavior is just as OP describes. Triple clicking a word in a checklist item to use a control code that would add formatting to the entire string wraps even the list formatting marks too, breaking the list. I am also coming from Typora where this isn’t a problem, and this would ease my migration were it to be addressed.

If this isn’t to be regarded as a bug outright, then there ought to be some kind of quirk to allow triple click to grab just the string after the list formatting mark. Maybe if the user triple clicks a word in the string, it does this, but if the user triple clicks empty space on the line, it grabs everything, including the list formatting marks?

As it stands, the workaround is to either click and drag select the string, or click at the end or beginning of the list item, and use a keybind to select the whole string. The latter works as expected without grabbing the list formatting mark e.g. clicking to empty space the the end of the list item, Shift+Home, Ctrl+b.