Trifold edit mode button

Use case or problem

I often find myself switching between Live Preview and Source mode. It’s difficult to switch between them, and sometimes difficult to tell which mode I’m in.

Proposed solution

1. Have the Edit mode icon switch to the Source view icon when Source view is active. (This presumes that the icon changes to reflect the current state of the window, which is already what I expect and want.)

2. Have an option under Editor options to cycle through all three modes when selecting the Edit mode icon. Alternately, have some other easier way to access Source view, such as by long-pressing the Edit mode icon.

1 Like

This is my solution to both your problems:

screenshot.2022-08-31T113209Z
screenshot.2022-08-31T113222Z

And then I have a CSS snippet called preview-background.css:

@media (prefers-color-scheme: light) {
    .markdown-source-view:not(.is-live-preview) {
        background-color: #eee;
    }
    .markdown-preview-view {
        background-color: #fdf5e2;
    }
}
@media (prefers-color-scheme: dark) {
    .markdown-source-view:not(.is-live-preview) {
        background-color: #111;
    }
    .markdown-preview-view {
        background-color: #002b36;
    }
}

Hm. Interesting. Unfortunately the hotkeys don’t help me, as I’m on iPad. However, that snippet could be useful.

I wonder—could a plugin do this?

You can add a button to the mobile toolbar to toggle between Live and Source.

1 Like

Okay, wow. That pretty much solves the problem.

I really hope that at some point they put significant resources into streamlining and clarifying the UI and documentation.

1 Like

Now I just want a feature or plugin that toggles between Edit and Reader view depending on whether the keyboard is active.

1 Like

The upcoming version shows some effort in that direction, so I have some hope that we’ll get there.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.