Translucent window option makes titlebar text greyed out

Steps to reproduce

Enable ‘Translucent window’ option in appearance settings.

Expected result

Parts of window become translucent and blurred, but text is still readable

Actual result

Parts of window become translucent and blurred, but text on titlebar get darkened/greyed out.

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 11 22H2
  • Debug info:
SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v1.1.9
	Installer version: v1.0.3
	Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.22623
	Login status: not logged in
	Insider build toggle: off
	Live preview: on
	Legacy editor: off
	Base theme: dark
	Community theme: none
	Snippets enabled: 0
	Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	none

Additional information

Screenshot: (Issue highlighted in orange box)

I also tried it on macos, it works as intended on macos.
Side note: It would be cool if you could adjust the transparency of the parts of the window where it is translucent.

2 Likes

thanks

1 Like

Seconded! Seeing from my end too.

Using Minimal theme :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was debugging why the theme I was using was looking weird on secondary windows with translucency on, and here’s some comparison. Looks like translucency is not properly rendered on secondary windows.

Steps

Now translucency on.

• Dark mode, translucent. This is what the original poster shows, but I wanted to note the weird translucency behaviour in secondary windows. It’s difficult to see in dark mode…

• …in light mode it’s a bit clearer: the title bar on the secondary window is… lighter, and looks like translucency is not properly applied there.

• Here’s Minimal, dark mode, translucent. Note the difference in the window frame.

• Minimal, light, translucent; again, something subtle lack of translucency in the secondary window frame.

Now, I don’t know if this is the issue with the theme I’m using or not; I’ll open an issue on their repo, too (edit: posted here), but here’s what it looks like. It’s more pronounced, and since Default and Minimal have some translucency bugs going on secondary windows, I thought I should post here as well since maybe it’s related.

• Theme: Border, dark, translucent: note the secondary window frame
  • Theme: Border, light, translucent: looks like translucency is just gone from secondary windows, and available on primary window.

Edit: oh this is happening on Windows 11.

Oh dear, looks like it’s more pronounced on Mac.

• Default, dark, translucent (the secondary window is washed out, no translucency)

• Default, light, translucent (translucency in left pane and title bar on primary window, completely absent in secondary)

1 Like

On mac it looks great!

But on windows 11 the top-bar becomes darker AND the text as well, so it becomes A LOT harder for me to read the tab-titles.
This issue’s screenshot looks exactly like it looks on my machine (windows 11) … unfortunately the issue got dismissed.

It’s an issue for my eyes at least.

Translucency support will be removed from windows in v1.6, since the underlying API has changed and we are not sure we can use it. Sorry!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.