"Too many redirects" with custom domain and Obsidian Publish

Before opening a new bug report, please search the forum for duplicates and follow the Troubleshooting Guide.

Once you’ve done the above, delete everything above this line.

Steps to reproduce

Setup a custom domain and try to visit it.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Yes

Expected result

Setting up a custom domain should be a simple straight forward process but too many directs error persists even when there are no redirects setup in Cloudflare or Obsidian Publish settings.

Others had the same error going back three years but no fix was provided Cannot get Obsidian publish to work with a custom domain - #3

Actual result

It’s already described above, too many redirects.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.5.3
Installer version: v1.4.13
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 23.2.0: Wed Nov 15 21:54:10 PST 2023; root:xnu-10002.61.3~2/RELEASE_X86_64 23.2.0
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: none
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Base theme: adapt to system
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

See three year old three where multiple others reported the same problem: Obsidian Publish with custom URL "too many redirects"

This solution worked for me, although I also toggled it “off” before before “flexible”.

EDIT: I deleted the CNAME and re-added it, then set my certificate to flexible then changed it back to full and now it works! Spent an hour trying to fix this, and it took all of 10 seconds to fix it. I have no idea what happened though.

After doing that and renabling the page rule as above everything started working within 15-20 minutes. It’s not clear if this is a Cloudflare problem or an Obsidian problem but this turned a 5 minute job into an hours long nightmare.

1 Like