To filter the graph view

Can it be merged with this feature request?

3 Likes

In my opinion not, because I lay importance on the filtering by tag. Only in this way it is possible to compose different graph views - e.g. according to different task areas - from the same vault. E.g. for research I’d be interested in seeing e.g. how my notes on concepts relating to political science are connected. But for applications my notes on research are irrelevant. Etc.

If I understand the feature request by @afen correctly, it would mirror a functionality of RoamResearch for toggling inclusion of Daily Notes.

I guess filtering by tag is something different.

I think it can, at least my thougts on the other ticket.

You could use the tag search to modify what’s in the graph. Hopefully with advanced if/else/and type syntax and a set number of steps that you could view out from where you are.

1 Like

Agree, visualize the relationship of nodes belong to one tag apperently helps user like me.

Sort of like the current search function but affecting the graph view instead of displaying multiple file content matching search. Either highlight them - or even better, layout just the selected nodes (after a second or two).

Search is a bit like grep, while what I am proposing is a bit like graphing the files reported by grep -l.

A use case may be to see what other files these files are connected to!

Alternately, graph the list of files given by an external tool.

I am not sure this is at the “feature request” level though. I think a number of ideas related the graph view are worth exploring and if they are found to be really useful they may graduate to a real feature.

37 Likes

I second the idea of a search function for graph view. I’d love to be able to ctrl-f a specific note, especially as my graph grows!

10 Likes

I second this feature request. As my vault size is increasing and my graph is cluttering, high degree of overlap in the graph view makes it nearly impossible to locate a node. a simple Ctrl+F to highlight the node will bevery handy.

8 Likes

This sounds awesome to me. I find so much value in seeing the connections between nodes but as my graph increases in size it becomes harder to find a specific node and see all its connections.

Being able to search via tags would also be pretty neat. Potentially highlighting nodes based on the tags searched.

10 Likes

I second this feature request. Being able to find topics and words directly in the graph is crucial.

6 Likes

Yep, definitely a very useful, if not must have, feature. When Obsidian will become a highly used tool and the number of users with high numbers of notes increases proportionally, not having this feature renders Graph View for them useless.

Thus, not having this as a feature (not a plug-in) will have the opposite effect of an upgrade, i.e. a degrade.

5 Likes

A search function and a focus mode showing only links to a certain depth would make the graph view far more useful.

4 Likes

BINGO: Right now the graph view is fun but not really useful, search (Ctrl+F) would make it truly useful!

2 Likes

I second this request.
I hope graph view be very useful.

1 Like

It would be nice to have a search feature on the graphical view especially when graphics start to become very large.

3 Likes

Here is my vote for a fully searchable graph view :slight_smile:

I hope this one makes the cut, search capabilities in graph view where perhaps it highlights the various nodes that match the query would be great.

I just started using Obsidian in the last few months, and LOVE it. So thank you so much for all the hard work that has gone into it. I’m spreading the word and telling everyone about this.

I couldn’t agree more with this request, though. If there was one single feature I could request right now, this would be it. For context: I’ve now included so many notes that the graph feature is kind of useless, as I lack the ability to search the graph itself. There are simply too many files and links.

I would be thrilled with the ability to do a Control + F search for a term in the graph view. Even better, I’d love to be able to do it two or three times, so I can see the start point and end point for a relationship I’d like to explore.

Thanks again for all the great work. This is really shaping up!

+1 for this :slight_smile:

So far I’m having trouble if I want to pick the note I’m in in the graph. Is there a hotkey for this? Search would be great.

The ability to search a specific node is a must have, to keep the graph useful as we add more content.

Beyond that, the ability to filter and / or highlight a number of nodes based on advanced criteria would be very useful. For example:

• Show all the nodes that are connected to documents with the Tag X…