To filter the graph view

Sounds like a great feature.

By the way, is there a way to upvote a feature request?

2 Likes

I upvote here :+1:

1 Like

Upvote :+1:

1 Like

is there a way to upvote a feature request?

Click on the heart icon below his OP.

1 Like

This could be implemented using certain excluded folders as well (as added granularity) with a fixed tag such as “#exclude_from_graph” or similar.

1 Like

Really need it :+1:

This also gets my upvote. This is also very useful, when importing large chunks of files during migration process, which clutters everything up temporariliy.

Upvote :+1:

Upvote!!! :+1:

This would be super handy for graphs, I’d like to have everything in one vault, but also a more granular graph view.

really need this, cz I don’t want my imported image in graph view

+1! I use today notes for just jotting down ideas, and they clutter up the graph to the point where I’ve just deleted them all.

Adding my vote to this as well. I’m a new Obsidian user and am hitting this tension very early on–trying to see relationships between reading notes/thoughts amidst the clutter of a growing number of daily notes.

I agree. I’m trying to build an index and it shows in the graph view. I’ve also created templates for different types of notes that I keep in a template folder. These show up in the graph.

:+1:

Upvote too :+1:

I’d also like to see this - to be able to exclude or only look at links with my Inbox and Literature folders, which serve a different purpose from the longer term Permanent or Ideas folders. Ideally there would be a toggle to exclude or limit a graph to any combination of folders.

:+1: upvote from me

As I think about it … not just the ability to hide folders, but a larger graph view filtering on tags, folders, and notes. It’d be nice, for example, to see a graph of a specific tag or group of tags, as well as a graph of notes inside of just one folder or several folders. Also, to build a graph view from a single note, showing all of the relationships spreading from that one note.

Exactly, it would be really nice to “save” / bookmark different graph views, similar to MOC (maps of content) notes that provide links to related notes, but just in a more visual form that allows better exploring one’s knowledge base.

Related to that, it would be cool to change the level of granularity in the graph view (i.e. only very well connected notes for high level view, going down to displaying all headings of notes when zoomed in sufficiently) -> see here for the suggestion Add setting to display headings in graph view

1 Like

This feature is a must! Upvoting it too :+1:

1 Like

Make it possible to compose a graph view based on tags. E.g. to show all connections between notes that are tagged with #books . One possible implementation would be to highlight these notes and their respective inter-connections. This could be developed further into a query function. E.g. to highlight all notes and ther respective inter-connections that are tagged with #concept AND #political_science, etc.

Some implementations for graph views based on text recognition etc. were already being suggested. However, what made the RoamResearch buzz so big is that RoamResearch is customizable to everyones liking. Maybe Obsidian should go a similar way here and offer to show connections not based on opaque-algorithms, but instead based on the bi-directional links we already have, and, additionally, hashtags, which can everyone add in their own fashion. This goes in hand with the Obsidian-Philosophy of the markdown- and plug-in-based, DIY approach.

16 Likes