To filter the graph view

I think a way to filter out nodes in the graph would help it become even more useful.
An idea would be to have a filter box where you could select from existing Tags and or Backlinks and maybe even a keyword search.

For example I may have a vault filled with drink recipes and I want to see what drinks I can make with vodka and orange juice, so I might enter: #drinks [[vodka]]

4 Likes

Currently Graph View plots all links between notes, regardless of subfolder structure. Generally this is good, but it would be nice to have the option to ignore one or more subfolders when constructing the graph. For example, I would like to ignore Daily Notes, since they disrupt the topic structure between other notes.

11 Likes

+1 on configuring and/or filtering out specific folders from graph.

I’d love to have:

• filter all graph nodes to selected word
  • filter 1st, 2nd level notes to a given one
  • filter orphans
  • show by colour main nodes and secondary/ third level etc
1 Like

+1 !!! As time passes by, it gets more and more difficult to find whichever NODE you want to find in the graph view. Some kind of CTRL+F would also be nice

1 Like

It would be nice if graph had fixed position and user can drag to change position. So user would know where is his nodes are

+1

Filtering and Search functions for the graphical view would be great.

IMHO Obsidian’s Graph view is a key feature allowing visualization of the data. I think Obsidian’s implementation is superior over Roam Research and adding a search capability and filtering would create a 1-2 punch!

2 Likes

+1 and urgent. I’m only at 223 notes in different folders but the graph-view isn’t useful anymore. I don’t want to see my /DailyNotes in there for example.

6 Likes

Maybe only in the Graph view the right column could be enabled to show a copy of the folder hierarchy in the Vault with checkboxes next to them such that toggling on and off would change the Graph view.

A search bar would be so cool to have in graph view. Especially now that the search capabilities in 0.8.x became very good. I think implementing search, regular expressions and logic search terms in graph view would be a wonderful improvement to the app.

3 Likes

Great! I hope that the graph view could be linked with a specific document, just like the preview and the backlinks pane. It could be helpful to view local connections, for example only adjacent nodes or nodes within 3 hops, since as the vault grows larger, it also becomes increasingly hard to retrieve information from a complex, densly connected, global graph.

3 Likes

I do agree with you!

Yes, I agree. This would be a really useful feature! Especially if the active document could be highlighted on the graph. It would be so easy to instantly pick it out!

Hi !
For the graph view I can suggest to “focus mode” : when you click on a node, you stay focus on it and every notes linked to it would highlight. Right now I have to keep my mouse on it so…
A filter view would be perfect to use it too. Tags, linked notes (for example, to show only note that are linked to “note A” “note B” and “note C” at the same time) to keep track of the linking process.

4 Likes

Hello!

+1

But it would be better to concentrate on showing links more than hashtags. it would be great that the same connections that show now when hovering on a notes become more apparent (+ taking a hierarchy shape where bigger notes are up and smaller ones are down)…

If the content of the dailypage has an overlapping part every day, then in the graph overviews, because of this overlapping part, all the [[]] in the dailypage every day will be connected together into a complex and useless spider web. The solution to refer to ROAMRESEARCH is to keep the content and other files in contact without displaying the dailypage(remove log day)

10 Likes

I think it would be a good idea to add a filter in graph view so we can hide nodes like “yyyy-mm-dd” “v0.0.1”.
Also, can we search a specific node in graph view? It’s hard to find it.

2 Likes

Yes. I would like to exclude my daily notes from the graph view. Also there are always some notes that i don’t want as nodes on the graph as they make it cluttered and is of little use to me.
It would be nice if Obsidian had an option to hide certain nodes from the overall graph.

1 Like

Let’s introduce the way to exclude specific folder(s) from being displayed in Graph view: for example, right now my Graph view is quite crowded because of the Obsidian help folder. I don’t want to delete this folder, as I’m looking here for the info from time to time. But I don’t need it in Graph view. Maybe, introduce some file flag, like .nograph?

48 Likes

I second this! I’m a designer, so I frequently embed lots of images in my notes that clutter up the graph view. (I believe a change was made in v0.6.4 to include PNG files in addition to MD files.)

I have all of my images in an “assets” folder, and I’d love to get them out of my graph!

Additionally, I have lots of PDFs in a “queue” folder, and they show up as a bunch of unlinked dots around the edge - lots of visual clutter that I’d like to avoid.

4 Likes