Text in brackets followed by a colon renders the entire line as footnote content

Steps to reproduce

1. Add just the following content
I'm working with [TICKET-ID]: Ticket subject, just to fix it

Expected result

The content is just plain text, not format added. It’s not a marker, an abbreviation nor a footnote definition.

Actual result

The content is formated as a footnote definition in the Edit mode. It’s being rendered as expected in the Preview, though.

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 7, Linux Mint
  • Obsidian version: 0.9.17

Additional information

Adding just a single space between the closing bracket and the colon, it’s fixed in the Edit mode:

I'm working with [TICKET-ID] : Ticket subject, just to fix it

This is a screenshot to show how it’s being rendered

Using the web developer tools, I see the HyperMD-footnote class is added to the <pre> tag containing the string. So I assume it is being detected as a footnote. I’ve tried the same on the HyperMD online demo and it’s failing in a different way.

2 Likes

Can confirm on 0.10.1.

Simple statement like Blah [1]: results in the whole line treated as reference of a reference-link.

Any updates on this issue? Is there anything else I can do to get this fixed?

The following paragraph is displayed in superscript in Obsidian. Seems to have something to do with the brackets.

These aptitudes can be shown to be inherited instincts and preformed patterns, the latter being the a priori and formal conditions of apperception that are based on instinct. (Jung 1954 [1936]: para. 136) This statement is entirely in keeping with the most current biological research on the innate structures of the human mind and this aspect of Jung's concept of the archetype will be further investigated. [[Knox archetype]] 

See attached screenshot.

Steps to reproduce

Type the following into a note.

some text[^1]:

Notice that ] is followed by a :.

Expected result

The line is treated as a paragraph in the editor mode.

Actual result

The line was indented in the editor mode, as if the entire line is a footnote definition, possibly because Obsidian does not check if [ is at the beginning of a line to recognize footnote definitions. This behavior is also inconsistent with the preview mode, which interprets the line correctly as a paragraph.

Workaround

Escape the colon with \:.

Environment

• Operating system: macOS 10.16
  • Obsidian version: 0.12.19

will be fixed in 0.13.15

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.