Template titles, headlines, and metadata

What I’m trying to accomplish:

1. Have the filename/title be the same as an H1/2 headline at the top of the note.
  2. Have some sort of metadata on the date the note was created and the date of the last save/update. I have read conflicting ideas about frontmatter so I’m not sure of the best practice here.

Why I think it’s needed (hopefully this helps you help me find another solution, if that exists!):
Regarding #1. When linking content between files and wanting to display the content, for example like: ![[awesome content]] in a Table of Contents file, I want a headline for the content in that section. That headline is typically the same as the filename/title of the note itself. Is there a way to sync a headline in the note with the title of the note?

Regarding #2. Say I wanted to organize my thoughts on a website-product I’m considering (like which whiteboard app to use), I would be interested in logging when I performed the review. I could use that date in the future to determine if a new exhaustive review of the products is required. Is there a way to auto-update the last modified or saved on date in the note?

Thank you:
This is a wonderful product and community. Thank you so much for taking the time to review my question!

For #1, see the feature request Use H1 or front-matter title instead of or in addition to filename as display name.

For #2, not at the moment, though you could certainly manually add this kind of information. Obsidian recognizes and renders out YAML metadata frontmatter. So, if you start a note with

---
last-updated: 20201106
---

and use the Show frontmatter setting (Preferences → Editor), you can provide this data.

However, YAML frontmatter obviously conflicts with your need to have the first line be the same as the title!

edit: forgot to end the code block

1 Like

Thank you! Those answers were exactly what I was looking for.

1 Like