Teleprompter Window

Obsidian is a wonderful for video content creation, and so are teleprompters. It would be really convenient to have a teleprompter window much like the presentation window that can show the text of any note while inverted vertically and horizontally, with automated scrolling based on a desired scrolling speed. Keyboard shortcuts would be convenient for those controls.

We could place that second window on a second display that works as a teleprompter. That would be really convenient.

9 Likes

Yes! I agree - I just recently planned and scripted out a YouTube Video in Obsidian and then exported everything to a teleprompter app that felt a bit clunky - would love a way to keep everything internal to Obsidian and have scrolling text through a teleprompter window!

Awesome idea @ericvida, I was writing a script for a presentation I needed to record for my class, and after writing my notes I was thinking how could I get a way to have Obsidian running on the side while recordingā€¦ totally with you!

I am also highly interested in a teleprompter plugin for obsidian.
Is there a possibility to cover the costs and efforts at least partially through crowdfounding and to create an incentive?
Regards,
Simon

Just adding a +1 to this request. I can see verbal presentations increasing with ChatGPT like tools to ensure students know their stuff. That said, a teleprompter would still be invaluable for doing videos too.

I love the idea! Just finished reading through Obsidianā€™s developer documentation and ready to give it a shot. Wish me luck! Will keep you posted.

3 Likes

Hey, I would like to thank you for taking on this challenge.
May I ask what the status is? I produce educational videos and have a strong need for a obsidian teleprompter extension.
Iā€™d be happy to help you test, review, give feedback, etcā€¦

Thanks & greetings, Simon

1 Like

Hi, Simon! Things are going great! The progress is rather slow since I can only dedicate time on weekends, so itā€™s gonna take a while, but no worries, this plugin is certainly happening. Right now, Iā€™d put the progress at around 30%. Considering the pace, it looks like weā€™re looking at a few more months before itā€™s all done.

Thanks a bunch for offering to help out with testing and feedback. As things keep moving forward, Iā€™ll definitely keep you posted right here on how itā€™s all coming together.

Thanks again for your support!

2 Likes

Hey, everyone. I hope you and you are doing just great, so me too as well. I produce some videos and I also need an Obsidian teleprompter extension.
Iā€™d be happy to help you test, review, give feedback, etcā€¦

Hi guys! Just wanted to drop a quick update. The plugin is currently halfway done. Though itā€™s not fully functional just yet, Iā€™ve pretty much nailed down the user interface and high-level architecture of the project. So, yeah, things are shaping up nicely.

Now that Iā€™m confident that this plugin will see the light of day, Iā€™ve set up a GitHub repository for it, where Iā€™ll be sharing the source code once itā€™s ready - GitHub - lumetrium/obsidian-teleprompter

I will be publishing this plugin as part of my larger project called Lumetrium, which is dedicated to the development of software aimed at enhancing personal productivity.

I donā€™t have any cool screenshots to show off yet, but Iā€™ve got something even better ā€“ the logo for the upcoming plugin! You can sneak a peek at it in the repository.

4 Likes

Thanks for working on this. Iā€™m really looking forward to this plugin.
Great Job on the Logo.

1 Like

Alright, itā€™s almost ready! The plugin is now fully functional, and Iā€™ve uploaded the source code along with the release files. However, thereā€™s still a review step that will take some time. So you wonā€™t be able to find it in the Community Plugins catalog just yet. For now, the plugin can only be installed manually, and Iā€™ve included installation instructions in the repository.

I would greatly appriciate your feedback if you decide to give it a try. Iā€™ll keep you updated on the pluginā€™s progress as it goes through the review process.

Hereā€™s the link again - GitHub - lumetrium/obsidian-teleprompter

4 Likes

Sorry, seen that too late. Sounds great, I will have a look on your plugin!
THANKS A LOT!
Regards,
Simon

1 Like

Great job, Iā€™m doing some test and so far so good, thank you so much.

Hey @Goralph so you think is possible to support images and animated gifts?

Iā€™m glad you like it, and thank you for testing it! I think it should be possible to add support for images and GIFs. But Iā€™m not sure how useful that would be for a teleprompter. Do you think images are really necessary in this context? What would be the use case?

Hi, @Goralph .

Certainly! Engaging in teleprompter script demos is a crucial aspect of the presentation journey for some people, as it helps the presenter visualize and understand the value and functionality of software solutions, for example. Utilizing a teleprompter script with Animated GIFs can significantly enhance this process. Hereā€™s a breakdown of why itā€™s essential and a simplistic script example to illustrate the concept:

Importance:

1. Clarification & Visualization: Animated GIFs provide a visual clarification that words alone may not achieve. They demonstrate real-time functionality in a digestible manner.
  2. Engagement: Visuals keep the audience engaged, making the demo more interactive and less monotonous.
  3. Retention: People tend to retain visual information better; hence, seeing the software in action alongside a verbal explanation enhances understanding and retention.
  4. Professionalism: A well-structured script exudes professionalism and ensures that all critical points are covered without deviation.
  5. Efficiency: A script ensures a smooth flow of the demo/presentation, saving time while ensuring the conveyance of key points.

Script Example:

| Talking Track                     | Show on Screen                           |
|----------------------------------|------------------------------------------|
| "Letā€™s begin by accessing the    | Animated GIF: Opening the software       |
| main dashboard of our software." |                                           |
|                                  |                                           |
| "Now, Iā€™ll demonstrate how to    | Animated GIF: Navigating to a particular |
| navigate to the ā€˜Reportsā€™        | section                                   |
| section.ā€                        |                                           |
|                                  |                                           |
| "Here, you can generate          | Animated GIF: Generating a report        |
| customized reports with just a   |                                           |
| few clicks.ā€                     |                                           |

In this simplistic script, the Talking Track column outlines what the presenter should say, while the Show on Screen column corresponds with Animated GIFs that visually demonstrate the discussed actions. This way, we create a structured, engaging, and informative script for the teleprompter that aligns with the peopleā€™s message.

Again, congratulations; this plugin will help many content creators out there. Thank you so much

ChatGPT seems to be struggling with this, to be honest. Much of the output doesnā€™t quite make sense to me. Letā€™s try to ask it why this is a bad idea:

Teleprompters are primarily used to display text to help individuals, such as news anchors, public speakers, or actors, read scripts and deliver content more smoothly. They donā€™t need to show images because their primary purpose is to provide a scrolling, easy-to-read text display that allows the user to maintain eye contact with the audience or camera while delivering their lines or speeches.

Here are a few reasons why teleprompters donā€™t typically show images:

1. Distraction: Displaying images or videos on a teleprompter could be distracting for the person using it. The primary goal of a teleprompter is to help the speaker or performer maintain focus on the script, and adding images could divert their attention.
  2. Clarity and readability: Teleprompters are designed to provide clear, high-contrast text that is easy to read, even from a distance. Images might not be as clear or legible on a teleprompter screen.
  3. Audience engagement: When someone is speaking or presenting in front of a camera or audience, maintaining eye contact is crucial for engaging the viewers. Teleprompters are designed to be positioned near the camera lens, so the presenter appears to be looking directly at the audience. Showing images on the teleprompter screen could interfere with this direct eye contact.
  4. Screen real estate: Teleprompter screens are generally not very large. They are optimized for displaying text in a size and format that is easy for the user to read. Trying to show images in a limited screen space might not be practical or effective.

If images or visual aids need to be incorporated into a presentation, they are typically displayed on a separate screen or monitor, or they may be integrated into the production in a way that doesnā€™t interfere with the teleprompterā€™s main function, which is to assist with reading and delivering scripted content.

Iā€™m still open to the idea of adding support for images though. But itā€™s probably not going to be a priority, since I really donā€™t think it adds much value compared to other feature requests I received today. But thank you anyway, I really appreciate your feedback.

1 Like

Hm, I have problems to install the pluginā€¦
I downloaded the latest ZIP release and extracted the folder into the vaultā€™s plugin folder (where all the others are).

But when I try to enable the plugin, I get the message

Failed to load Teleprompter plugin

What could be wrong?

Thanks & regards,
Simon

Ah, I am a fool :man_facepalming: I extracted the source code zip :slight_smile:

@Goralph - this is AWESOME!
It works like a charm!

Partially I agree, displaying images can be useful.
But it dependsā€¦ in my tests today I used existing notes with big screenshots. These would not be very helpful in the teleprompter. Would it be an idea to make it configurable whether images should be displayed? Just an idea.

Again, I am very impressed. Thanks for the efforts!
How can I buy you a coffee? :coffee:

Simon