Teleprompter Window

Simon, thank you very much for your feedback and for giving it a try! I’m delighted to know that it meets your requirements.

A setting to display images seems like a good solution. Thanks for the suggestion. There must be a good use for images in a teleprompter, but I still can’t think of any actual use cases.

I appreciate your kind offer to buy me a coffee. Unfortunately, all of the payment services I know of don’t operate in my country. Thus, the only viable option would be through cryptocurrencies.

Here are the wallet addresses:
Bitcoin: 1PQEEsLfYr2cyLz1K7TyDedXeqy1xxhCJ6
Ethereum:14 0x5a7978dfc24fB33F1F8cEdde8a1aB3043B4E73cF

Alternatively, you could consider sharing this plugin with your audience or helping to spread the word about my other project - Definer - Popup Dictionary & Translator. I would appreciate that very much!

In any case, I’ve built this plugin out of my genuine passion for the idea and my profound admiration for Obsidian, and I’m going to continue improving and maintaining it.

1 Like

Sorry, I messed up the link in my previous message. I can’t edit it now, so I’m gonna post it again - Definer - Popup Dictionary & Translator.

1 Like

I am totally thrilled by this plugin… just had another idea for a feature. :slight_smile:

Sometimes it might be necessary to have single text passages statically in front of you instead of letting them scroll.
I’m thinking of content that you don’t reproduce word for word, but rather formulate the sentences off the cuff using individual bullet points.
Or a diagram (e.g. a mindmap or an excalidraw), which you only need as a thought support to be able to explain everything.
Here, the time for rendering is not predictable as with continuous text.

My suggestion would be to introduce a “block mode”.
If this is active, the teleprompter displays the whole text below a heading statically.
With two (new) buttons for < > you can browse through the sections. (would be also great controllable with shortcuts, Elgato StreamDeck or foot pedal… :thinking: )

The block mode is adjustable to the heading level, i.e. “h3” would mean that content up to the first h4 including everything below it (i.e. h4+) is displayed. The next block again everything up to the next h4 and so on.
The alternative mode “single” would stop at each heading and show only the content up to any following heading (h5 or h3).

I know that AdvancedSlides for example would also be sufficient to simply create a slide deck and just use the speaker notes. But that requries my notes to have strict headline setup. I really love the ability to use any note for teleprompting.

Does something like this sound reasonable and implementable?

…Thanks, again! :smiley:
Simon

1 Like

I like the idea! It sounds like a valuable addition that can enhance the versatility of the plugin. It would be very useful in situations where the content doesn’t follow a predictable flow, and users want more control over the presentation.

You explained it very well, and I can already envision how it could be technically implemented. The only problem is that displaying anything rather than very basic markdown is going to be quite challenging, I’m not sure how to render something like diagrams there. But maybe it’s not actually that difficult, I’ll have to do some research to be sure.

Regarding Stream Deck integration, I own a couple of them myself, so I really really like the idea! But to make a proper integration, it would be essential to develop a dedicated plugin for the Stream Deck. This approach would allow the real-time display of the controls’ settings on the buttons and on the touch panel of the Stream Deck+ version. While it is possible to assign actions to hotkey combinations and configure the Stream Deck to trigger those hotkeys, it’s going to take a lot of hotkeys and it won’t be possible to display relevant information on the buttons, which is not ideal. So creating a dedicated Stream Deck plugin is the way to go here.

I have experience developing plugins for Stream Deck and I’d love to make one for this project. But I doubt I’ll be able to find time for it the near future. The same applies to your block mode idea, which I’ll keep in mind for when I have some spare time to dedicate to it.

Thank you for such well-articulated feature requests; I think they are entirely reasonable!

1 Like

I can’t believe my wish came true. I installed it and I’m so impressed. I haven’t found any of the quirks I anticipated. You are a fantastic developer.

The only thing is that it took me a while to figure out how to pop it out unto a separate window so I can place it on a separate monitor. maybe an icon, shortcut, or setting to make that a default behavior would be handy.

I love that I can edit the text in obsidian, and the teleprompter won’t lose it’s place. Why can’t all teleprompter apps do that? You nailed it.

I will be putting this to the test next week. Thank you so much. Are you open to other paid js work? I like your work.

1 Like

Hey @ericvida, I really appreciate your kind words, and I’m happy to hear that the plugin is working well for you!

I totally get what you’re saying about popping it out into a separate window. I agree that having a button or command would make it a lot more convenient and user-friendly. I believe this feature is worth implementing, so I’m adding it to the roadmap for future improvements.

I’d love to know how your testing goes next week! I’m still actively collecting feedback to figure out which features to focus on and, of course, fix any bugs that might come up along the way.

Regarding your question about additional work, my hands are already quite full with a full-time job and several personal projects. But rest assured I’m committed to this project and will continue maintaining it and slowly adding new features when I have openings in my schedule.

I’ve just published a new version 1.1. Among other new features, it introduces the “Detach window” control that should make it easier to pop the window out so it can be placed on a second monitor. Thank you for the idea! The full release log can be found here - Release 1.1.0 · lumetrium/obsidian-teleprompter · GitHub

By the way, the plugin is still pending review, so it’s not in the community plugins catalog yet. I’ll let you know once it’s approved.

The plugin has been approved and is now available in the Community plugins catalog!
Here’s the installation link: Plugins - Obsidian

1 Like