Sync Mobile app through Google Drive (Android-Windows10)

Platform: Android

Obsidian Mobile version: v1.0.3
Obsidian Desktop version: v0.12.10
Installer version: v0.12.4

This is an alternative to Obsidian sync paid service, using Google drive, a android phone and a windows computer.

1. Open the following link: Back up & sync files with Google Drive - Computer - Google Drive Help And follow the instructions. You will need Gdrive service “Backup and Sync from Google” to see google drive on your file explorer. Then go to this page: Download - Google Drive and scroll down to the “For users” option to download gdrive on windows.
  2. Then go to your android phone and search on the play store: “Autosync for Google Drive”. Allow the app permissions like your mobile storage. Connect the app to your Google Drive’s account. Now choose the option that says: “Create sync test”. The app will create a folder for your, that exists both on your Gdrive and in your mobile storage. You can also setup your own folder, but I don’t really know how that works.
  3. Finally open your Obsidian app and create a new vault within the folder that Autosync created for you. Then go to obisidian for windows: select “open a folder as vault” and select the vault within the folder Autosync did for you.

There you go :wink: that’s it. You can either manually sync everytime you make a change, or go to “Autosync” app on mobile and change the sync time to every 5 minutes. I will upload in the future a guide for doing this but on another app called “SyncThing”, a safer and faster alternative. Let me now your doubts if you have any of them.

Sorry If I have any grammar mistake, I don’t speak english natively

9 Likes

Worked like a charm! Thank you :))

I’m glad to hear that!

Syncthing is really good. Every time you create/modify a file, it will automatically sync it in your other device.

2 Likes

I have windows 8.1 pro, and it works perfectly. I felt so down when I finished writing the note then I couldn’t synchronize.
Thank you so much! You saved me.

1 Like

how to sync with Ubuntu?

Thank you :)) :pray: :pray: :+1: